• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GKR never denies a grading.

I've only just started training with Go-Kan-Ryu 4 months ago and have quickly learnt that they never fail a karate-ka at a grading. For example, at my last grading a 6 year old girl was going for her 5th Kyu. She could not even perform the most basic, first kata that all white belts are taught, yet she still passed. Of course our the instructors don't send you to a grading if you're not capable but this obviously isn't always the case.

What are you opinions on this?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been my experience that by the time you get to a grading they've already decided you earned the belt. So even if you choke or let the pressure get to you it still doesn't off-set all the hard work you've done up to that point. Perhaps since she's a child they have different standards which I personally don't understand but then again I don't have much experience with kids in MA classes.

GKR stands for Go-Kan-Ryu. It is a style of karate founded by Kancho Robert Sullivan. It is a mix of Shotokan and Goju-Ryu I think

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I've only just started training with Go-Kan-Ryu 4 months ago and have quickly learnt that they never fail a karate-ka at a grading. For example, at my last grading a 6 year old girl was going for her 5th Kyu. She could not even perform the most basic, first kata that all white belts are taught, yet she still passed. Of course our the instructors don't send you to a grading if you're not capable but this obviously isn't always the case.

What are you opinions on this?

1. A 6 year old testing for 5th Kyu? BAH! It's a sure sign of a Belt Factory/McDojo IMO.

2. I don't test a student until I know they can pass, so few fail. But to actually fail while doing the test? Nope...sorry, you failed!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I'm of the opinion that students should pass a grading nearly every time. But this is simply because I only put students up for grading when there is no doubt that they have the ability.

Our seniors don't do formal test days, they receive their grade when they have demonstrated their matching ability.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

I've honestly never failed a test, when I had them, just because my instructors never tested until they knew you were ready to pass. Of course, you had to meet standards before you'd be offered the test. There was never a set testing schedule.

BJJ is much easier. No testing where I've trained at all. Coach thinks your ready, it the next stripe or belt. Love it. This also minimized any testing fees or such.

We have a system that if u don't rate high enough to pass in 1 of the 3 tests (Kata, Kihon, Kumite) u receive a Kari and u are to be tested again in the test u failed in the next grading. (-20 euro per Kari)

However you get your next belt despite the Kari but i don't suppose they let u get another belt after that until u rate enough to pass the previously failed test.

Tomorrow is my 6th Kyu grading so i will check up on the guys and let u know.