• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wear glasses while training

Hi there,

I wear glasses and wondered if they get in the way while training?

I have worn contacts in the past but never got on with them when wearing them full time. May see about daily wear.

Also, if anyone does wear contacts, are they soft or rpg? I would be more suited to rgp but I think they would ping out.

Regards,

Martyn

Martyn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've trained with people who wore glasses. It's never been an issue that i've seen, beyond the occasional need to reach up and adjust, and the occasional need to pick them up off the floor in case of accident. That said, we don't whack each other in the face.

I don't actually think that people should be hitting each other in the face in training in general, because it's no good to learn to defend yourself from an unlikely threat by doing things that will inflict permanent brain trauma on yourself, but this is a different topic entirely.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

As I get older, sometimes if I'm tired I need a pair of glasses. Obviously I take them off for sparring but other than that I don't have too many issues other than as JZv said the occasional adjustment or accident. Just make sure you get a durable pair.

I'm a contact guy. What's worked the best are the extended wear, disposable models I got a few years ago. I keep a couple of sets of spares in my gym bag all the time just in case one gets rolled off. This actually happens less than one would think as well.

Good luck, let us know how this goes.

Contact guy here. I wear soft 30-day disposable contacts. Glasses got in my way during training.

It will take a week or two but you will get comfortable wearing contacts.

I wear glasses but my students know when its a sparring night as I got my contacts in, lol

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 2 months later...

I wore glasses for 4 years of class and hard gas permeable contacts for the last 5 years. On contact day I wear my glasses because I'm afraid my contacts might break in my eye and I would have to get it vacuumed out. Glasses are no problem 2 other people wear them too. Whenever things get rough they either take them off or an upper belt grabs them off their face.

I go in between glasses and contacts. I prefer the contacts due to they don't break and cut you. But if I am wearing my glasses to training they come off when I think the need too. I do both BJJ and Karate so I know when they must come off. During bjj I may put them on and take them off severval times during drilling due to see the technique and then off to actually drill and during sparing of course they stay off the entire time.