• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training on your own??

Kata, Heavybag, Forms/kata, waza, bunkai just curious.... How do you train? I quite a dojo and still training from dvd on other styles. Shotokan karate and kuk sool won and kickboxing. Its hard to train on your own. The stretches is what I hate the most because you have to take minutes doing that before training and in class its alot easier to go with it. but anyway just curious how other people train on there own.

I just stretch and use my heavybag to train on two kicks at a time for around 20 mins or so or I do oi zuki alot and godan barai. Im having a hard time training on my own so anyone have any ideas or want to share anything. I wish i had a makiwara type target I could strike to practice instead of my heavybag.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training on your own is something you only do if you have no other choice; two weeks of training on your own is generally only worth an hour in class if you are below the blackbelt level. Try to find a school that fits you better; it shouldn't be a problem to find something assuming you don't live in say, Antarctica or Cold Bay.

As an aside... don't stretch before class, it makes it easier to injure yourself. Do warmups before class. Stretch AFTER class.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I have now developed several training regimes for home that suit me.

These range from:

-Emulating a Kyokushin class, including heavy focus on Kihon and Kata (as I am by myself).

-Sprint training.

-Resistance bands, kettlebell and freeweight training.

-Heavybag work and body conditioning.

I found it really hard to keep myself motivated when training solo - now I just wear my Kyokushin Belt during home training and everytime I want to stop, I look at it and it pumps me up again!!!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

It is very hard training at home without going to class. 10xs harder than being in a class so i hope you have good luck with sticking to your training. Do you have a youtube channel mabye we could share videos sometimes. Im doing shotokan i would love to see some of your kyokushin

At the moment I don't do much training at home - just some stretching and rotator cuff exercises. I have had periods when I train a lot at home.

I've planned short sessions (15 minutes) of various exercises and link sessons 4 - 6 to a full workout ( 1h - 1,5 h)

Other strategy is to use DVD's like P90X or insanity.

I also liked doing different exercises with tapata timer.

Training shoud be evaluated as whole (working days stress, martial arts classes, and other exercises). Very important guestion to ask your self is why do you train... at home.

It is very hard training at home without going to class. 10xs harder than being in a class so i hope you have good luck with sticking to your training. Do you have a youtube channel mabye we could share videos sometimes. Im doing shotokan i would love to see some of your kyokushin

Hi Chris,

Sorry - I re-read you post and realised you may have been talking to me about the videos.

I do have a youtube channel at jamesalmighty84, but do not post videos of myself on there. Mainly just use it to listen to obscure music I have no intention of buying, watching Martial Arts type stuff and learning (the cheat way) piano and guitar stuff.

I would be happy to do so, time permitting, so it will be a while before I will be able to get something filmed and posted but will PM you once I do.

OSU!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I left the system I train in as a San Kyu. I knew enough to train on my own, but greatly regret not being able to train in a dojo. With my own training, I was able to get faster and stronger, as well as improve my kata. But there is much you will miss out on. All I can say, is that if you have a good base in your art just get creative. You will already know some things you can do and some areas that need improvement.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I've spent a great deal of time training on my own over the years on an on and off basis. Right now, I spend a bulk of my technical time on the mat with others. However, I do remember a few notes from this whole thing. I have an article that should post at some point about designing a home work out area, by extension, it has some ideas about training in it. Until this, here are the basics. of what I consider time well spent.

The easiest thing, out of gym, to take your time on solo is obviously your conditioning. It requires no one else and you can make great strides all along. Increased physical capacity will only translate to your favor in combat arts. This is the realm of strength training and cardio. There's a bunch of stuff out there about what's best for martial artist of different kinds. Pick something you like and do it hard.

Next up, look at a heavy bag for almost any striking art. It allows combos (a mandatory component) at speed and power. From a secondary standpoint you could look at a double ended bag followed by a speed bag, followed by some other specialty bags (upper cut, ect.)

You can start this on the cheap by getting the heavy bag second hand and building from there.

Look at space you can use for drilling of movements common to your system. This might mean kata, or part of a drill. Whatever it is, just have space to work it.

You can go from very elaborate routes to keeping it basic. It's about how much time you spend solo vs. class and how that impacts your goals.

I've spent a great deal of time training on my own over the years on an on and off basis. Right now, I spend a bulk of my technical time on the mat with others. However, I do remember a few notes from this whole thing. I have an article that should post at some point about designing a home work out area, by extension, it has some ideas about training in it. Until this, here are the basics. of what I consider time well spent.

The easiest thing, out of gym, to take your time on solo is obviously your conditioning. It requires no one else and you can make great strides all along. Increased physical capacity will only translate to your favor in combat arts. This is the realm of strength training and cardio. There's a bunch of stuff out there about what's best for martial artist of different kinds. Pick something you like and do it hard.

Next up, look at a heavy bag for almost any striking art. It allows combos (a mandatory component) at speed and power. From a secondary standpoint you could look at a double ended bag followed by a speed bag, followed by some other specialty bags (upper cut, ect.)

You can start this on the cheap by getting the heavy bag second hand and building from there.

Look at space you can use for drilling of movements common to your system. This might mean kata, or part of a drill. Whatever it is, just have space to work it.

You can go from very elaborate routes to keeping it basic. It's about how much time you spend solo vs. class and how that impacts your goals.

All excellent points and suggestions!!! Solid post. These are all things I did. I also did speed and agility drills.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)