• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kaicho, Kancho, Soke, Dai Soke, Shihan & Dai Shihan!

Hello,

Thank you for visiting KarateForums.com. This thread was removed accidentally. I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks,

Patrick

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Translations are tricky things. Kancho, translating into English as "Head of House" would be interpreted by people where I'm from as "father" or more casually "dad." And while after a long time within a system, this is a somewhat appropriate relationship for one to have...I can't imagine coming in off the street and calling some guy "dad" while he punches my face in.

Do you mean "Kancho" in Japanese, or the equivalent English translation? I can't imagine a Japanese person using the word "Kancho" for their father...

Anyway - here's a look at it from the Aikido perspective.

Best,

Chris

Thanks for readding this thread

Edited by Dobbersky

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Kancho or Kaicho, means more or less the same thing but I know there is a kids "joke" named "kancho"

My translation is head of style or organisation

Anyway, kancho with the kanji: 館長 is the head of an organisation that uses "kan" 館 (lit: hall, meeting house) in its name e.g. seidokan, kyokushin kaikan etc. If the organisation uses "kai"会 (lit: group, meeting) then it will be kaicho 会長 instead. There are a number of other terms used too.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thats fair enough Harkon72

We have sensei for 3rd dan and above (unless they have a different title that they were awarded).

Senpai (or sempai depending on what floats your boat) for anything up to and including 2nd dan or a senior student to yourself.

Kancho or Kaicho, means more or less the same thing but I know there is a kids "joke" named "kancho"

My translation is head of style or organisation

Anyway, kancho with the kanji: 館長 is the head of an organisation that uses "kan" 館 (lit: hall, meeting house) in its name e.g. seidokan, kyokushin kaikan etc. If the organisation uses "kai"会 (lit: group, meeting) then it will be kaicho 会長 instead. There are a number of other terms used too.

With us,

Kaicho is the President of our Governing body.

Kancho is the Vice-President of our Governing body.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!