• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cleanliness in the dojo.

GeoGiant

Oh the anonymity of the internet allows one to speak freely about these topics.

First let me say that I would consider my dojo clean and the folks that attend seem to practice good hygiene but in the last few months there have been a few jock itch / athletes foot issues. I was wonder how others address / prepare for dealing with these issues.

1. Does anyone have any rituals they use to avoid being affected by bacteria and / or fungus in the dojo? Things like not using the changing room, applying anti-fungal spray before getting dressed, using hand sanitizer before you use the bathroom during class, etc.

2. How do you deal with keeping your gi, sparring gear, bag, etc. clean and free from undesirables?

3. Does anyone identify and avoid what they would consider as "hot spots" for contamination?

4. Anyone contracted athletes foot, jock itch, a staph infection, etc, from the dojo or gym. If so how did you handle it and move forward.

I know this is a gross topic but I think its something that should be discussed.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nasty stuff, never gotten anything myself but I'd imagine its quite easy to become a problem in places like dojos and gyms.

I've found best practise with my sparring gear over the years is to make sure I wipe it out and that its dry after every session and then to clean it with 1:9 bleach:water solution every so often. Same with my bag. Wash dobok after every session and always remember to take any tshirts or towels I might have used out of my bag to stop them festering in there. Hand sanitizers might be worthwhile investing in.

Is it your dojo or someone else's? If not yours I'd mention it to the owner as they might need to step up on the hygiene issues.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Having been the grappling type of one kind of another for a while, I've seen some (and quite frankly had some) nasty stuff from the mat. It's very prevalent with wrestlers to the tune of ringworm, impetigo, and shingles. All, I believe, fungus'. Which, btw, is the cause of the two issues you bring up.

There are over the counter treatments that work well. If it lingers too long, a couple of weeks or so (I've gone to giving it four but that's just me) see a doc. They do make very strong oral meds that really knock the stuff out.

Clean mats help, the always do. Don't neglect the cleaning of the changing rooms, which is where a lot of stuff can get transmitted. Encourage everyone to shower immediately after working out. Also, make sure people are covering and treating ANY skin abnormalities. That should keep it to a minimum.

I know, it's gross. Wrestlers deal with this. I've been very lucky at my current gym, which has hand many less issues than others I've been at. Be glad that you haven't had to deal with a MRSA outbreak or any of the other nasties. Best to encourage people to get checked if there is any question rather than risk transmission.

I was actually just going to start a topic about this. I find my dojo extremely clean. Before training as a class we all grab a wet rag and run up and down the dojo cleaning the floor as part of are warm up. (If you ever used a rag to clean your floor rather than a mop you understand how tiring it could actually be.) The changing room is also fairly clean, but recently we have had a couple of new members who just have the most disgusting feet I have ever seen in my life so much so that I have taken to washing my feet right after class every time I train.

I don't think that there is anything another student can say that wouldn't seem rude. So I just have to hope sensei says something one day or that I don't get paired up with one of these students for any kicking exercises.

DWx this is the dojo I train at, not mine.

I think the dojo is fairly clean but it seems like there have been a few things floating around. I've noticed powder on people's feet and a few people seem to be avoiding the locker room.

Nice clean topic!!!

In all my years I've never contracted anything 'touch wood' but since I started at the gym at work and used the showers I got what I think is a corn!

I had to mention hygiene to a teenage student a few times, he didn't change so he's no longer with us!

The only thing with renting church halls is that you don't have full control of the training/changing areas

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I've never contracted anything from the school. I don't hall a bag with me to the school, and I wash my uniform after each class.

I am the same, always wash my dogi.

Additionally, I carry hand sanitizer around with me everywhere anyway, so its always available in my car before and after training.

Our Shihan makes a very strong point about hygene issues, from adequate clipping of finger/toe nails, to having clean feet before entering the dojo.

I also believe that the dojo floors (be they wooden or matted) should be mopped with a bleach solution weekly to prevent bacterial and fungal growth.

MMA Magazine (Australia) did an article not long ago on the Staph infections that have been popping up in gyms and why it is beneficial to wear a rash-vest to training. I think (while this is a good point), that hygene should never drop to this level to begin with.

On the topic of viral hygene and poeple coming into class sick with the flu... well dont get me started! :)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Good point. Spraying down stuff is often overlooked. Especially the inside of one's nylon gym bag.

As to the gi thing....really, there are people who don't? Yuck.

Good point. Spraying down stuff is often overlooked. Especially the inside of one's nylon gym bag.

As to the gi thing....really, there are people who don't? Yuck.

Yeah, there are people out there. I have heard some stories from some of the BJJ guys I started to train with. Gi rash is a problem in many grappling places. It can be great eliminated by some proper hygiene.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)