• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you weight train with your martial arts?

chrisw08

do you lift weights?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. do you lift weights?

• yes
    • no

I lift weights with my shotokan training. I find it very benificial to my punches mainly bicep i noticed helps with punches. Just wanted to know what your opinions are on weight training and martial arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I train with weights yes. My own bodyweight that is. To me, the human body is still the best dumbell/barbell there is.

I do pull ups, push ups with elevated feet, dips and squats (granted, for the squats I do wear a weighted backpack). I don't know if it really helps me hit so much harder, though most of my opponents have remarked I can punch the snot out of someone, but I do know that having a little more muscle mass helps me stand my ground better and take more of a bruising.

I lift, 3 days a week. I lift for power and strength, and right now mainly do strength lifts, all with barbell. I do back and front squats, bench and incline press, overhead press and push press, barbell rows, and dead lift. I do some accessory work on the side, to help facilitate the main lifts. As I go along, I am going to see if there is a place I can squeeze in some power cleans and power snatches.

I've noticed that my stances have improved with weight training, and I feel more solid and rooted in a stance. Overall, stength training is really helping my TKD.

I've noticed that my stances have improved with weight training, and I feel more solid and rooted in a stance. Overall, stength training is really helping my TKD.

Exactly. it just makes you more "stable" if you see what I mean; it's not just a question of being able to hit harder, it's also a point of having stronger muscles that keep you in place and allow you to endure more punishment :)

I hate doing it, but I'm back on the wagon. I never "max out" however, and rarely lift for maximum strength. Core strength and muscular endurance are pretty much the bee's knees when it comes to strength/weights.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Yes. I lift anywhere between two and four times per week depending on where we are in the year. Pre- comp, post- comp, maintenance. I think that professional fighting has been a crucible for this over the years and it's shown that higher conditioned athletes are more likely to be successful in their efforts to employ their tactics. This is true for self defense as well, even if one never steps in a ring, the more fit and conditioned one is, well, it's one more edge you have over a bad guy.