• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kidney rupturing?

evergrey

Even if you're hitting light, some targets are going to be rough on the recipient. Kidney shots are kind of a gray area when you're talking about training with your buddies, as even a light blow can cause problems.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSU.

I hit the person in the side though, on the floating rib. Still trying to figure out how that got her kidney. Maybe it was the force going through her, if she didn't tighten up at all?

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Anything can happen and if it does I would chalk it up to dumb luck. We work at full contact all the time. In thirty years I've only know of one person to injure their kidney and it was a throw not a hit. I've actually known more people to pee blood from excessive running. (My self included)

This is so true:

Don't worry about it, Injuries ARE expected. Did you know you are at more risk of being injury doing Gymnastics/Field Sports that you are practicing Martial Arts.

If you're going to be in a sport like this you have to expect injuries here and there.

It sounds like the chemistry between you and this Nidan isn't great. Maybe some time apart would be good. Martial arts should be a mostly positive experience. If it's not, something needs to change.

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

It sounds like the chemistry between you and this Nidan isn't great. Maybe some time apart would be good. Martial arts should be a mostly positive experience. If it's not, something needs to change.

OSU, oh absolutely. We won't be sparring again, that is for certain, in my mind. There is certainly a mutual lack of trust at this point.

But that's okay. We certainly don't have to spar one another. There are plenty of others for her to play with!

And plenty of people who will happily wipe the mats with me!

OSU!

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

From now on, when people tell me they want "light," I will ask them to hit me as hard as they think is the very top edge of their version of "light." Then I'll know what it means to them. Light for us can still lead to bruises, which for this person seemed to mean heinous abusive lack of control, heh!

No offense evergrey, but perhaps you should have eased up on her a little more if she couldn't handle it. Not everyone is used to such heavy sparring. Slightly different to Dobbersky, my rule is that the dominant sparrer lets the weaker one control the pace and contact. Forget about grades. Nevermind the fact she was a blackbelt and you a kyu grade. If you've got more experience in fighting heavy then you've got a duty not to go in like a bull in a china shop. Especially if you're bigger like I am (and I guess you are from your previous posts). We can take and dish out more so have to be careful with our control and its up to us to ease up or pull techniques. Yes she should have expected to get hit hard in a Kyokushin dojo but she's not coming in with a Kyokushin dan rank and she's mostly like got zero knockdown experience. Even if they are feeling pushed a bit with the contact, they've still got to feel safe when sparring you and know that you're not going to go crazy and beat them to a pulp.

Don't worry about the injury though. It happens. Just a shame she got upset by the whole thing, could have been a good learning experience for you both.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Oh I would have, if she had said anything while we were sparring! But she didn't. Heh.

Usually in my dojo it's the low rank who controls the pace and level of contact, unless the high rank feels it is too hard for them. But communication is really important! If you don't know, then you don't know. Heh.

When you aren't told until the day after... it's like, well shoot. Sorry! Why didn't you say "please go lighter" at the time? I would have readily complied. :/

Yeah you're totally right, communication is key :) She probably should have told you but again, its probably embarrassing asking a "lower" grade to ease up.

You get used to these things though. Eventually you'll be able to sense how your partner's coping and adjust your contact accordingly.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yeah you're totally right, communication is key :) She probably should have told you but again, its probably embarrassing asking a "lower" grade to ease up.

You get used to these things though. Eventually you'll be able to sense how your partner's coping and adjust your contact accordingly.

Agreed, but then again, The Yudansha should have advised Evergrey that she's not used to Full Contact and to not to go as hard as normal.

When I visit other clubs and They want to spar, I advise I am used to thigh kicks so apologise prior to sparring comencing

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I think if you had hit her in the kidney she would have really known about it then and there. I had a severe kidney infection several months ago and was left with a traumatised kidney for a while. It kind of felt like a massive internal bruise, which pinched everytime I breathed in. I would imagine if you had hit her hard enough to induce blood in her urine then she would have complained of something similar.

Maybe she wanted to emphasise a point... by saying you made her bleed in order for you to be more gentle in future? I know this seems cynical of me, but if I suddenly started peeing blood after a punch I think I would be off round to the doctor... :-?

Either way it is a good learning experience. Approach future sparring partners with caution and treat them with respect. I think asking them to punch you with their own acceptable level of force is a good idea, as then you have a point of reference of what is a good level. :)

OSU, yes, I mistakenly approached her with the idea that respecting her as a martial artist meant not sparring her as if she had no skills and no ability to defend herself, heh!

But that is more of a knockdown thing, and she did not come from a knockdown background. That is a good lesson for me to remember. Wear the kid gloves until I know for sure they can handle and want a different level of contact.

OSU!