• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kidney rupturing?

evergrey

OSU,

I have a question for you all, especially people who have sparred with contact.

Is it easy to rupture someone's kidney when going light? Can you make someone pee blood from just one uppercut to their floating rib area on their side? A strike that's about 25% power, Kyokushin style...

Say, a strike thrown by a fairly muscular and very stocky (okay very fat) 5'3" woman.

Would this be likely with someone who tightens up their muscles and uses breathing and the like to protect themself while soaking a blow?

Would it be easy to do accidentally to someone who doesn't?

Is peeing a bit of blood always really serious?

I uh, had a friendly sparring match with that nidan. Now I feel like a brute and a monster! I was hitting her like, three times lighter than the Kyokushin shodan I sparred before her, who laughed and said "well that's not doing anything for you" when I punched him.

Man, I am a woman but I'm starting to feel like I just shouldn't spar other women. Not if I'm going to end up breaking them even when I'm going light (for me.)

:(

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, accidents happen. Don't spend time beating yourself up over it. When you train in a contact sport, injuries are likely to happen. This unavoidable. You say you were going light, so I doubt this was your intent.

As for the injury, I suppose anything is possible. She should go see a doctor and be evaluated. Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

First off, accidents happen. Don't spend time beating yourself up over it. When you train in a contact sport, injuries are likely to happen. This unavoidable. You say you were going light, so I doubt this was your intent.

As for the injury, I suppose anything is possible. She should go see a doctor and be evaluated. Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

Is this the same Nidan from the Shotokan school?

Don't worry about it, Injuries ARE expected. Did you know you are at more risk of being injury doing Gymnastics/Field Sports that you are practicing Martial Arts.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

OSU.

Yes, yes it is the same nidan.

I got a hold of a long term veteran of knockdown fighting (one who was very close to Oyama) and he told me that you can make someone pee blood even if you just lightly tap the kidney, and that it's nothing for me to beat myself up over. Heh, that finally let me sleep last night!

Thank you for the feedback. :}

OSU!

*edit*

I think I'm just going to spar people I haven't trained with as if they were small children until I know for sure that they can handle actual contact. It infuriates me when people do this to me, but if it will spare me drama, I'll do it with others, heh!

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

OSU.

Yes, yes it is the same nidan.

I got a hold of a long term veteran of knockdown fighting (one who was very close to Oyama) and he told me that you can make someone pee blood even if you just lightly tap the kidney, and that it's nothing for me to beat myself up over. Heh, that finally let me sleep last night!

Thank you for the feedback. :}

OSU!

*edit*

I think I'm just going to spar people I haven't trained with as if they were small children until I know for sure that they can handle actual contact. It infuriates me when people do this to me, but if it will spare me drama, I'll do it with others, heh!

Lol, I am sure that Nidan will treat you with more respect than she did previously. Oh and my rule is the lower grade controls the pace, she wants to be on par with Yudansha in your Dojo then you must "honour" her by sparring with her as if she is! She should have defended herself better

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

OSU, yeah! Heh.

I don't think she will though. She sent me a long scathing letter about how I need to learn control...

I don't think she will though. She sent me a long scathing letter about how I need to learn control...

A Grandmaster once sent a letter to my instructor about our entire school's performance in one of his tournaments. About the same thing.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

OSU, yeah! Heh.

I agree that you need to learn control, but that's because I believe that EVERYONE can benefit from developing control. That said, what exactly did she expect when sparring in a Kyokushin dojo? It's a style known for full-contact, knockdown fighting, so she can't honestly expect the same type of control she's used to from a Shotokan dojo. When I went to spar with some Kyokushin folks I fully expected that their level of control and contact was going to result in me getting hit a lot harder than I had been hit in point sparring and probably at least a bit harder than the contact sparring I've done. You can't walk into a dojo that trains a full-contact style and expect them to tap your gi for a point unless you work that out with your partner in advance.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

From now on, when people tell me they want "light," I will ask them to hit me as hard as they think is the very top edge of their version of "light." Then I'll know what it means to them. Light for us can still lead to bruises, which for this person seemed to mean heinous abusive lack of control, heh!