• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

side effects in wrestling

vasilist

hello

i was thinking of starting greco roman or freestyle wrestling

but i heard both of em have many permament impacts on knees and on spine

the thing is i dont the reliability of the random blogs so i want opinions here

i dont wanna go MMA, not wanna go pro but more like playing friendly matches just to have fun and i see it as long term hobby

not just for 1 year but i hope for 10+

will i have any problem unhealable in bones or something? i dont wanna have arthritis in my 45s :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A lot of that can come from improper warm up before training. If you decide to do this I would suggest looking into how to properly warm-up (just doing static stretching isn't enough!) so that you can avoid permanent injury the best you can. However, injury can and will happen in any physical sport, so the risk will always be there. As far as those particular problem areas with these styles I can see how that could happen. It makes sense because of the way that you have to use your body and the way that you would be contorted by your opponent so that they can win.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

You'll be fine. Of course, this goes back to training properly and taking care to not destroy joints. Bear in mind also that my involvement with utilizing wresting comes from it being my primary method of takedown these days. So I can only speak really from that angle of experience.

Greco tends to be high impact just due to the nature of it's throwing occurring all from the upper body. In this respect, you can expect more jarring and high impact throws. This would probably be more analogous to judo than other kinds of wrestling.

Free style will allow you to attack the legs and these takedowns tend to be effective and less traumatic on your body. Doubles legs and single leg takedowns are the go-to movements for takedown work here. While these can be high impact (lifting and dumping for instance) it's much easier to train them at a lower impact level.

Here is some footage of myself and a friend working various doubles and singles in randori:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGqdv-lYHyE

As you can see, pretty mello and still very effective as far as the repetition and tactic goes. However, bear in mind this all goes back to training methodology. Wresting can also be brutal and punishing, it depends on why you're approaching it and and who you're working it with. Generally though, if you're not lifting to throw you'll be less likely to get spinal or neck/ head trauma. We do a lot of wrestling with a BJJ mindset, which means means a more laid back attitude than you'd see on just a wrestling mat.

Knees are always a major concern with working takedowns, especially if you're turning and reaping legs. I'd just urge concern. Again, you'll see more of this in Greco USUALLY. It's always possible to get a stylist in other forms that does a lot of trips as well that can be dangerous if everything lines up.

I'm a big proponent of wrestling for combative training. It's an excellent cross over art for just about anything. The trick is realizing why you're training it (which it seems like you've done) and finding a workout partner or club to match. Good luck and keep us posted.

thaks for answers

as for injuiries i wouldnt mind having some bruises or maybe have pain after a fall, what i mind is long time serious injuiries (like 1-2 months not walking properly) or permament damages especially to bones (thats why i fear for my knees and my spine) that will give me hard time in my life

example i had accident in long run before 1 year, couldnt walk properly for some month, i had pains when the weather was changing 6 months after the event...

So (i hope i wasnt too boring) what i mind is picking a sport to have fun and "build health", not to slowly tear my bones

If you're looking at wrestling, you're not going to see submissions. It's not part of free style or Greco. Subs are the purview of submission wrestling (no gi), BJJ, or shoot.

As to long term damage, if you're training smart, with good partners, it will actually be easier on your body than other arts. Since moving to predominately BJJ training, my shoulders hurt way less than they did before. Of course, we go back to how one is training.

I'll get argument here, but I'd stay away from working leg locks for some time. It's easy to hurt those joints, the force almost always transfers to the knee, and reliance on them can stunt your work on open guard. Stay away from them till purple belt level at least, especially rotational locks to the ankles and knee bars.

I agree with tallgeese. As long as you take good care in your practice, it should be fine. I can't think of any reason why one couldn't practice Wrestling for as long as many others practice Eastern styles.