• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To get sore or not to?

xo-karate

What is a good intensity of a training session?

Often in weight training it's said that the last rep is the one that counts - it's the one that will build up muscles.

Soreness of muscles is a sign for a good training session - or is it?

(Well if you a looking for speed, then it's totally wrong, but otherwise, what is your oppinion?)

Should you allways try to exceed go further, push as much as you can?

Or should high intensity be just for some periods or maybe once a week thing?

Or is it too dangerous as it might injure you... (Lifting weights is relative safe, but martial arts done full speed has a lot of hazards.)

How hard should you practise?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's all about what your body can handle. I work out six days a week, regardless of whether or not martial arts is part of the work out. All of the work outs I do are intense enough for them to count, and I always feel great after. Every workout for me is pretty intense, and I don't usually go for high intensity unless I'm trying a new work out, and then generally that is going to be of a higher intensity because it's different and my body isn't used to the kind of things that I am doing. I would say start at a high intensity one or two times a week until you can do more. Once you get to the point where what you're doing isn't pushing you as hard as it was, move on to another kind of work out so as to not plateau and reach a stagnant point in your exercises.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

It's all about what your body can handle. ....I would say start at a high intensity one or two times a week until you can do more. Once you get to the point where what you're doing isn't pushing you as hard as it was, move on to another kind of work out so as to not plateau and reach a stagnant point in your exercises.

I like your slogan: "Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training."

Also I agree with "It's all about what your body can handle."

The second part is an interesting idea for me. I've allways started a new program kind of feeling it out - more like low intensity - not doing fast or with heavy weights. Idea of managing the workload by shorter time is great. It's like tabata with short work times and maybe not so many intervals. http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html.

Being sore is not a bad thing. But, along with the soreness, recovery is important. Its also good to push yourself beyond your limits every now and then, and then come back to a more regular training level. Monitoring recovery time is a good way to decide when to go harder, and when to lighten it up a bit.

The second part is an interesting idea for me. I've allways started a new program kind of feeling it out - more like low intensity - not doing fast or with heavy weights. Idea of managing the workload by shorter time is great. It's like tabata with short work times and maybe not so many intervals. http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html.

The confusion comes from lack of clarification on my part. I mean the intensity that a body feels and not the actual level of the workout. Any new work out I start is a build up. I've seen to many people hurt themselves by diving into a new regimen without making sure that they are prepared physically for it. I usually start the build up to the next one as I am petering out with the current.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

The confusion comes from lack of clarification on my part. I mean the intensity that a body feels and not the actual level of the workout. Any new work out I start is a build up. I've seen to many people hurt themselves by diving into a new regimen without making sure that they are prepared physically for it. I usually start the build up to the next one as I am petering out with the current.

BUT I think my misunderstanding might work. Kind of taking small pieces from a new workout and trying them out little by little - but full speed - like you wrote "I usually start the build up to the next one as I am petering out with the current".

Like today I'm starting my "heavy bag" boxing routine, but I'll start it with technical training. Just working on good form and good weight shift on punches. Other way might be to just start with high intensity but short rounds.

(I might if my technique was solid enough, but it is not:-)

Like today I'm starting my "heavy bag" boxing routine, but I'll start it with technical training. Just working on good form and good weight shift on punches. Other way might be to just start with high intensity but short rounds.

(I might if my technique was solid enough, but it is not:-)

I think yours is a solid strategy.

After a few years off training Kyokushin, when getting back into the swing of things I had to "go back to basics" so-to-speak. I started with focus on solid technique, like you said, looking at proper weight shifts and aiming for perfect form (you know, that unattainable perfect form!).

High intensity comes after I think. Its not worth me personally putting in the effort to get zapped with poor form and little power in strikes.

It took me a couple of months to get back to several 5 min rounds of high intensity free-bag-work, but was worth starting slow.

Good luck! :)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."