• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Broken toe: Workout or Not?

Broke my pinky toe last pm during some JJJ training while being the uke...my friends shin won the battle against my toe :D . Reset it, iced it, buddy taped it. Nominal swelling and brusing so far.

I am going to give myself a mandatory 3 day break from activity.

How many of you have had this injury or can offer guidance of when I can/should be able to go back to working out? I do karate and JJJ.

Any advice?

THX

Always learning.....class is always in session

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Having done something very similar, I'd say give it a week. Ice, ibuprofen, rest. Then go back with modified activity if pain permits. Let your coach know so he won't expect you to be doing everything. Keep it taped for sure during activity.

If it won't start getting better in a few weeks then get it looked at, but there's not much a doc will be able to do. But you can make sure nothing is weird and get a note to be out of class for a more extended period. Often, this will let you put your membership on hold so you're not paying for time your on the mat.

I have had a broken toe for a couple months now because I keep working out with it and any time I land a kick with my right foot it gets re-injured, so just be careful with anything that will cause your foot to make contact with anyone or anything.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

THX guys...much appreciated. Well, good news I believe. It is day 2 and I have nominal swelling. My daughter, who is a nursing student, looked at it last pm and believes I got a dislocation vs a break.

I did hear a pop and it was sideways...and I did pop it back into place.

I am going to continue to buddy tape it and be very careful, but hopefully this expedites my healing time. Being careful in case it was indeed a break.

Always learning.....class is always in session

I have had a broken toe for a couple months now because I keep working out with it and any time I land a kick with my right foot it gets re-injured, so just be careful with anything that will cause your foot to make contact with anyone or anything.

That sounds like you should give it a longer break, otherways it wont heal ever!