• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fitness Testing

DWx

Do any of you guys get fitness tested or do you test your students?

We get made to do the Bleep test every so often and just recently we've had the McCloy test introduced. Doesn't matter what we get per se. but we have to have improved every time we take the tests (and we can't get below a minimum score on both).

I guess this is more applicable to those that compete and that's why we do it. I dunno but I find myself training specifically for the tests rather than hoping an improved score comes as a by-product of my training.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's a great topic and a great question Danielle.

My answer...no...I don't do anything like your OP denotes with my students because I always thought that the by-product of MA training would be enough. But I see, that it's not. I mean, adult classes are 2 1/2 hrs long and I'm making sure that everyone of my students are challenged across the board.

My Dai-Soke worked us so long and so hard, I thought that that by-product was enough.

After reading your post and your links, I'm going to address it in our Hombu's weekly conference phone call this Friday. Thanks Danielle!!

Time to turn a new leaf.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We don't, although there are some departments, usually bigger ones in bigger cities, that do frequent fitness requirements tests. Its not a bad thing, really. It would make me stay in better shape, that's for sure.

Training to the test tends to be popular when those test scores are all that's evaluated. To me, it can make training a bummer, because instead of training what and how you want, you end up only training what you need per the test. This is a negative, I think, especially when improvement is a necessity every time. For example, if a mile run in 15 minutes is the requirement, I'm sure I could eventually hit that. But to be required to put forth a better time each evaluation, would be tough for me, because I despise running, and will do it as little as possible. Training would not be fun for me.

Not as a matter of course. However, in my original art, there was a mandatory 1 hour continuous sparring sessions expected at 1st dan. That's led to more than a few increased workout routines.

Not as a matter of course. However, in my original art, there was a mandatory 1 hour continuous sparring sessions expected at 1st dan. That's led to more than a few increased workout routines.

I think we're doing that on the upcoming test for yellow belt. Yay!!!

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

After reading your post and your links, I'm going to address it in our Hombu's weekly conference phone call this Friday.

You do know you're students are going to despise you?!? :lol

I have to say, training for the Bleep test doing sprinting shuttle runs has improved my ability to suddenly up my work rate in sparring. My ability to cope with sudden bursts of activity and then rest again is a lot better. TBH would get a much higher score if I could get the turns a bit better as that's where I start to lag behind the test pace. Can't turn tight enough.

There's also a pushup and pressup version of the Bleep test and we used to do that. Kills you off right at the start with the slow ones.

Training to the test tends to be popular when those test scores are all that's evaluated. To me, it can make training a bummer, because instead of training what and how you want, you end up only training what you need per the test. This is a negative, I think, especially when improvement is a necessity every time. For example, if a mile run in 15 minutes is the requirement, I'm sure I could eventually hit that. But to be required to put forth a better time each evaluation, would be tough for me, because I despise running, and will do it as little as possible. Training would not be fun for me.

Well its my competition team that have to do the tests mainly. And the score is used in conjunction with performance in sessions and rankings on regional and national level to determine whether we get picked for the big tournaments so its not on just the score. But yeah I agree with you it makes training a little monotonous for me as I hate just doing a ton of pushups, situps etc. and I hate running. :roll:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius