• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trying to Get Back Into It

Lupin1

Hey guys. Long time no post (on my end, of course). So the main reason I haven't been posting is, of course, I haven't had all that much to post about it. I'm in my 2nd year of living in the desert a very long way from the nearest martial arts class (nearest good one, anyway. I did attempt the semi-local [45 minutes away] mcdojo last year, but quit after a few weeks). I was home for the summer and I went to one class at the beginning of the summer but between my instructor having surgery and me working 50+ hours a week, I didn't get any more than that in. So now I'm back out here in the desert and realizing how bad sitting around on the couch on the computer watching Netflix all day is affecting me.

So I'm trying my best to get in shape (I was going to say "back in shape", but my shape has always really been kind of spherical...). I ordered myself the Power 90 workout system (the easier predecessor of P90X, which I've heard amazing things about but which I'm in no way ready for) and I've commited myself to practicing my kata and kihon for half an hour a day now which I'm going to build up to an hour a day in a few weeks. So I'm hoping that between the P90 in the morning and the karate practice in the evenings, if I can sustain both, I'll hopefully be in the best shape of my life by Christmas, which, sadly, isn't saying much. And of course, I'm going to keep working at it from there.

So now I'm just waiting for my Power 90 to come in the mail and in the meantime I've been waking up an hour early in the mornings to stretch and just get my body used to waking up early and moving and to loosen up so by the time I get my package I won't be so stiff I can't do anything or I hurt myself.

So yeah. That's where I'm at right now. Hopefully since I'll be training more (albeit on my own), I'll also be posting more.

Has anyone tried the P90 system who has some advice for me? Or just general advice? Anything would be appreciated, really.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No experience with that fitness program, but welcome back anyway :)

Glad to hear that you're starting up again. Defiantly utilizing kata daily out of your system will get you heading in the right direction. In fact, in Ginchin Funikoshi's book Karate Do: My Way of Life, he pretty much states that about anything can be dealt with via kata. I don't know that I agree with him, but in your situation it certainly is a way to get back in shape and back into the arts.

I'd try scrounging around for schools that might fit your schedule. Also, don't neglect your personal contacts that might train on the side. Some of my best memories thru the years are training in informal, but highly beneficial settings.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I'm about 30 minutes outside of Gallup, NM, which has two schools-- one I've tried and really didn't like and the other one that just kind of scares me (it's big into MMA). I know there are a LOT of schools in Albuquerque, but that's a two hour drive and I only get out there once a month or so and it's usually just to go shopping.

Sounds like your on the right track! I like the P-90X workouts. As for advice... don't over do it! Most of weight based training (chest & back or back & shoulders) run you through a series of exercises and then the exercises repeat. It will take you a few times but you will eventually figure out the number of reps that works for you.

Example - chest and back workout is standard push-ups, over hand wide grip pull ups, military push ups, underhand wide pull ups, wide push ups, close grip overhand pull ups, diamond push ups, close grip underhand pull up... go back to the second exercise then first, then fourth, then third... You want to work but you really need to pace yourself or your burnt out by the second round.