• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Plantar Fascia Injuries

Finally after researching the pain I am getting in my left foot, I have discovered that is a Plantar Fascia Injury which according to one of the websites I was looking at, admits it can be from being obese.

I admit, I have only been in karate for 4 months now, so it's not like I have lost all my weight but trying lol

I have been having problems with this on and off for the past month, but keep ignoring it. Well, that was until we did a kick-a-thon to support a class mate of ours. 1,000 kicks in an hour.

I see they recommend using joint tape of sorts to help with it.

Has anyone else had this problem? What size of tape do you recommend for it? Any other advice?

Celeste

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle." - Motto of the Navy Seals

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You might check to see if it is the kind of injury that physical therapy might help out with. I can't offer much advise on the topic, but I hope it gets better for you soon.

You know, it's odd because it only lasts a couple days. But I will check into physical therapy as an option. I think once I get into better shape, my bodyw ill be able to handle this better.

Celeste

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle." - Motto of the Navy Seals

One of my friends also has this at the moment. Obviously the best thing to do would be to rest up and minimize the Karate training for the time being. But that's not likely to happen ;) If you can, and your instructor lets you, try training in trainers for a while and see if that supports your foot better. And go see your Doc as they might be able to prescribe anti-inflammatories or give you steroidal injections or something.

By far the best tape IMO to use (if you can source it) is CoFlex. Its actually meant for animals and we get ours through someone who owns a vets. Sticks really well to itself but doesn't stick to anything else and, depending on how tight you wrap it, can be rock hard like a plaster cast or nice and elasticky. And you can reuse it (providing you don't pick up too much lint).

Or see if you can find a neoprene support. I've got an achilles problem at the moment but can't be bothered with strapping ever class and find the neoprene supports and ok alternative.

Hope you get better soon :(

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

One of my friends also has this at the moment. Obviously the best thing to do would be to rest up and minimize the Karate training for the time being. But that's not likely to happen ;) If you can, and your instructor lets you, try training in trainers for a while and see if that supports your foot better. And go see your Doc as they might be able to prescribe anti-inflammatories or give you steroidal injections or something.

By far the best tape IMO to use (if you can source it) is CoFlex. Its actually meant for animals and we get ours through someone who owns a vets. Sticks really well to itself but doesn't stick to anything else and, depending on how tight you wrap it, can be rock hard like a plaster cast or nice and elasticky. And you can reuse it (providing you don't pick up too much lint).

Or see if you can find a neoprene support. I've got an achilles problem at the moment but can't be bothered with strapping ever class and find the neoprene supports and ok alternative.

Hope you get better soon :(

This stuff is good advice. Also, spend a few minutes a couple times a day doing a hamstring stretch. Sit with your back against a wall, straighten your legs in front of you and flex your foot back toward you. this helps you keep flexibility in your foot tendons, which should help some with the pain.

Freeze a 20 ounce water bottle, you'll have to have it about half full, or it'll bust. Roll your foot over it while your at the computer or watching tv.

A lady at the gym had the same problem, and one of the owner's is a physical therapist. This was what she said to do.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the advice guys! It has gotten better though I did hurt it again last week in class. My own fault I think LOL. I didn't wrap it, and with what we were doing, I probably should of. I appreciate you guys!

I just went through this last summer. I don't know what your day-to-day activity consists of, but one of the changes I made was getting some shoes specifically designed for runners. They watch you run on a treadmill with a camera and then tell you that you run like a half-pigeon, half-penguin. (that was my experience) Anyhow, I got these fancy shoes that compensate for my less-than fluid natural movement. It made a huge difference.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I have this from running. I tried a bunch of things including ice and tape. What seem to keep it at bay for me is wearing a boot at night that keeps my foot flexed. They also make a sock that pulls the foot back. Sorry, I don't have a link, I was given both the sock and boot, but I'm sure you could find it on-line or a medical supply place.

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo