• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some thoughts on Non-traditional and traditional hojo undo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Generally speaking martial artists should be focused on the big compound movements such as squats, dips, bench press, deadlifts, etc. Once a base of strength is developed in these lifts, they should start working Olympic style lifts to develop explosiveness. There is no weight training in the world that will make a martial artist improve more than Olympic style lifting. I prefer to do this with sand bags.

These are the lifts I do right now. Squats, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press, and dead lift, with power clean thrown in, and dips and assisted pull-ups as well.

Those are the ones you should be doing. If you want to take it to the next level, learn the snatch, clean and press, they are a step from the power clean as you probably already know. If you put a solid lifting program with these lifts, you really don't need to do squats, bench press, etc. Olympic lifting can replace them quite well.

If you have a chance try these Olympic moves with a sand bag. They simulate the awkwardness of manipulating a body, as opposed to a nice neat barbell. They are also killer for grip training when you don't use straps. I prefer rubber mulch for my fill, as it is much bulkier than sand and a whole lot cleaner. Rubber mulch filled bag also makes for a good throwing dummy and inexpensive striking bag.

Here are some great instructions on making one:

http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

These few lifts that I do right now already require quite a bit of gym time, with the recovery time between sets and all. As I progress, I'll be dropping some of the sets as the weight gets heavier, so it may allow me more time for other lifts as well. There really isn't anyone around who does much Olympic lifting, so coaching on those will be tough. I like the power clean, but its really just an add-on at this point, with the other lifts being the focus right now. If I get more time, I will try to add in lifts to supplement the power clean, like the Romanian dead lift, hang clean, front squat, etc. As I grow stronger, I may be able to add more to it.

These few lifts that I do right now already require quite a bit of gym time, with the recovery time between sets and all. As I progress, I'll be dropping some of the sets as the weight gets heavier, so it may allow me more time for other lifts as well. There really isn't anyone around who does much Olympic lifting, so coaching on those will be tough. I like the power clean, but its really just an add-on at this point, with the other lifts being the focus right now. If I get more time, I will try to add in lifts to supplement the power clean, like the Romanian dead lift, hang clean, front squat, etc. As I grow stronger, I may be able to add more to it.

Try the sandbag thing, you really don't have to be so technical and it is much more applicable to martial arts. It will benefit you greatly.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I'd have to put a sandbag together. There was a guy in the gym the other day that had some Olympic lifting experience, and he showed me how to do the snatch. I may start adding that in, it just depends on what days and how much.

I worked the power snatch yesterday at the gym, and I really like it. Lots of power and explosion, and lots of technique; quite a challenge. I think I'll keep it in the routine now.

I worked the power snatch yesterday at the gym, and I really like it. Lots of power and explosion, and lots of technique; quite a challenge. I think I'll keep it in the routine now.

That is awesome. Doing those lifts will make you a very feared karatka.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I sure hope it helps. I just need to get back to my TKD school now.

Also, adding the jerk to my power cleans has been a nice jolt to my quads. Good fun!

Try the power snatch to overhead squat combo. You'll be cursing my name at first but it's a powerful combo.
The Olympic snatch does include the squat. But, do you mean completing the snatch movement, and then doing a complete, down-then-up, overhead squat? Crazy, I say! :lol:

Actually, the guy that was working with me showed me the power and Olympic snatch, the main difference being getting into the full squat on the Olympic snatch. I think I'm opting for the power snatch, as I won't likely do an Olympic lifting competitions, but, you never know, I may try more of the Olympic way, just to get more squat work in.

The power snatch to OH squat will give you the same benefit really. The power movements are fine for most people. I trained in Olympic lifting for a fair amount of time and though I enjoyed the full movements I typically stick with the power movements nowadays.