• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some thoughts on Non-traditional and traditional hojo undo

I truly believe that all martial artists should find the most efficient means of training they can. I also believe that if Choki Motubu had access to modern equipment, he would most certainly use it. I am a CMMACC and just love sharing exercises with fellow martial artists.

I like to lift weights and I have found them a tremendous supplement to my training. I focus on deadlifts, pullups, dips, benchpress and squats. I have also done some Olympic lifting which can help you to become blindingly fast. I have recently started to use sandbags to do Olympic lifts with. Not only do you get the benefit of Olympic lifting, but you can also drop a rubber mulch filled sandbag on floors Olympic plate loaded barbells will crash through AND it is great way to help develop grappling forearm strength and endurance.

I also recently bought a TRX and will start a routine with it in the next month or so as I change out some of the traditional lifting I have been doing.

I am somewhat of chishi fanatic as well. I recently read that Indian Clubs are making a comeback and realized that these are pretty much the same thing as a chishi. I use a large two handed one and smaller single handed ones to do a variety of traditional exercise. I believe they are a good way to develop strength, endurance, flexibility and skill in the hands and forearms.

What type of supplemental training do you do?

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I use lifting and running both as secondary workouts to hitting the mats. The incentive is the more days I manage mat time, the less days I have to do one or both of lifts or run. During run ups to comps, I'll make sure and get lift days in regardless. I'll swap up protocol every few months on the lift.

I'll rotate in some kettlebell work as the weeks go by to either warm up or work out with. One thing I do like to do is use a belt for pull ups and the like here and there to work grips or do two man conditioning exercises on the mat that are more sport specific.

I use lifting and running both as secondary workouts to hitting the mats. The incentive is the more days I manage mat time, the less days I have to do one or both of lifts or run. During run ups to comps, I'll make sure and get lift days in regardless. I'll swap up protocol every few months on the lift.

I'll rotate in some kettlebell work as the weeks go by to either warm up or work out with. One thing I do like to do is use a belt for pull ups and the like here and there to work grips or do two man conditioning exercises on the mat that are more sport specific.

Yeah, time is always an issue and mat/deck time should always come first. If you like kettlebells, you'll love a sandbag. Belt for pull-ups is an awesome idea.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Right now I just supplement lifting weights with my MA training. I used to do more plyometric stuff, but haven't done so lately. I'm trying to lift for power right now, and do a lot of squats.

Right now I just supplement lifting weights with my MA training. I used to do more plyometric stuff, but haven't done so lately. I'm trying to lift for power right now, and do a lot of squats.

What do you mean by lift for "power"?

Matsubayashi Ryu

My goal is to build power and overall strength when I lift weights. I do 5 sets of 5 reps of for the core exercises in my routine. Its the Stronglifts system. I don't care about being able to see a six pack or looking like a model. I want to be strong.

My goal is to build power and overall strength when I lift weights. I do 5 sets of 5 reps of for the core exercises in my routine. Its the Stronglifts system. I don't care about being able to see a six pack or looking like a model. I want to be strong.

I only ask as people generally have their own perceptions of what these words mean. If you are looking to improve martial arts ability through weight training, you must train differently than a body builder, a powerlifter or a strong man competitor, all of whom train differently than each other. Above all you need to be aware of the different energy systems of your muscles and how training can effect them. Training high reps can take away absolute strength and training low reps can take away endurance.

Generally speaking martial artists should be focused on the big compound movements such as squats, dips, bench press, deadlifts, etc. Once a base of strength is developed in these lifts, they should start working Olympic style lifts to develop explosiveness. There is no weight training in the world that will make a martial artist improve more than Olympic style lifting. I prefer to do this with sand bags.

Matsubayashi Ryu

It's probably also worth mentioning "six pack" abs. These are purely a function of body composition. You can be thin and weak with a six pack. Bodyfat is a function of one's metabolism, their caloric intake and caloric expenditure. Generally speaking it is impossible to become cut on a caloric surplus and conversely impossible to build strength and muscle on a caloric deficit. The exception to the latter is when a person is still in the early stages of training and the body's nueromuscluar system is adapting to lifting.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Generally speaking martial artists should be focused on the big compound movements such as squats, dips, bench press, deadlifts, etc. Once a base of strength is developed in these lifts, they should start working Olympic style lifts to develop explosiveness. There is no weight training in the world that will make a martial artist improve more than Olympic style lifting. I prefer to do this with sand bags.

These are the lifts I do right now. Squats, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press, and dead lift, with power clean thrown in, and dips and assisted pull-ups as well.

These are the lifts I do right now. Squats, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press, and dead lift, with power clean thrown in, and dips and assisted pull-ups as well.

Those are the ones you should be doing. If you want to take it to the next level, learn the snatch, clean and press, they are a step from the power clean as you probably already know. If you put a solid lifting program with these lifts, you really don't need to do squats, bench press, etc. Olympic lifting can replace them quite well.

If you have a chance try these Olympic moves with a sand bag. They simulate the awkwardness of manipulating a body, as opposed to a nice neat barbell. They are also killer for grip training when you don't use straps. I prefer rubber mulch for my fill, as it is much bulkier than sand and a whole lot cleaner. Rubber mulch filled bag also makes for a good throwing dummy and inexpensive striking bag.

Here are some great instructions on making one:

http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

Matsubayashi Ryu