• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"You've Failed!!"

Martial Arts instructors that are worth their salt will have to utter these words from time to time..."You've failed!" to one or more students during a testing cycle.

I've done it more times than I can count, and yes, I'm sure that you've done it as well.

Because our testing and awards ceremonies are conducted on separate days, I'm fortunate to invite the testing candidate(s), and their parents, if the testing candidates are minors, into my office a few hours before the awards ceremonies.

In my office, I'll conduct a private "failed" interview in a serious and professional tone because this is a serious situation, and my students as well as their parents, deserve that. This interview is a 6 step interview:

*I thank the candidates, and their parent(s), for their attending both the testing cycle as well as this interview.

*Then, I'll give them their grades for Kihon, then Kata, then Kumite, and if necessary...then Tuite, then Kyusho Jitsu, then Tameshiwara, then Weapons, then Essays, and then their Final Grade. This is where I'll inform them that they've failed this testing cycle.

*I'll then point out to them the areas of concern and how they can go about turning these low scores into passing scores. The only way that I know how to do this is by one thing...PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!

*I'll then point out to them their areas of success and how well they did in each of those area's.

*I'll then open the floor for any and all questions/comments they and/or their parent(s) might have; professionalism must be adhered to by all during this stage without any ambiguity whatsoever.

*I'll close out the interview by thanking them again and I'll also encourage them to continue with training and lessons.

This can be an emotional interview across the board, however, it's a necessary interview. A student can be lost to irrational feelings, as well as a new sense of worthlessness envelopes them. Here's where a bad instructor will lose students quite quickly, and where a good instructor will retain a student(s) that have failed their testing cycle.

Tests, unfortunately, only have two outcomes: Pass or fail. This applies to tests and not to their mortal coil. Students are to important across the board, and in that, the student is always before the martial arts; this is how it should be for every student, every day, and every time.

How do inform your student(s) who've failed their rank tests?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a tiered grading system where students must earn stripes in order to be eligible to grade. If they fail stripe testing I speak with them on the spot and discuss the areas they need to improve in-stripe testing is done individually so that I can give them one-on-one attention and feedback. Students that earn all stripes and are eligible to grade rarely fail final testing but on the rare occasion they do I speak with the student privately or with a parent (minor) and begin by asking them how they thought their grading went-most serious students will know the outcome before you even tell them. After a discussion on their strong points and areas that need improvement we formulate a plan together to get them to the next grading.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I would never tell a student that they 'failed' at anything...especially if they are children. They would never be invited to test unless they were practicing in class at a certain consistent level. No 'grading' system, no 'points' as there is always room for improvement.

Leaves fall.

I don't see a problem with telling a student that they failed. I understand Harlan's point of view but I think, at least athletically, we've moved to an everyone gets a trophy mentality.

I don't want to sound like a drill instructor but trying hard shouldn't automatically equate to achievement. Some people / kids are athletically superior and some people / kids are academically superior. For some reason society seems to allow everyone gets a ribbon for athletic based activities but we don't have a problem sorting kids according to academics.

Imho, the martial arts isn't the proving ground for instructors to practice their political correctness.

I'm not saying that I'd chew them up and then spit them out for having failed said rank test, but at the same time, I'm not going to sugar coat my final decision. Discussing said candidates failed test is a time to entertain the possibilities of reaching maximum opportunities for my student.

To tear down and rebuild a student(s) is the WRONG tactic!! Having much more than only a modicum of respect for a student(s) is paramount, imho.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Are these students coming from places other than your own school? It seems strange to allow someone to test if they aren't likely to pass.

I do like your interview format. It's professional and respectful, which is what both the student and the art deserve.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Imho, the martial arts isn't the proving ground for instructors to practice their political correctness.

I'm not saying that I'd chew them up and then spit them out for having failed said rank test, but at the same time, I'm not going to sugar coat my final decision. Discussing said candidates failed test is a time to entertain the possibilities of reaching maximum opportunities for my student.

To tear down and rebuild a student(s) is the WRONG tactic!! Having much more than only a modicum of respect for a student(s) is paramount, imho.

Well said.

I very rarely fail a student because of my methods of testing.

I don't test until I know they can pass...and when I do test them, they don't know they're being tested until it's over. If they fail, I say nothing because they aren't aware I was testing them. If they pass, I tell them. It usually comes as a surprise.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Absolutely agree. But being non-commercial, and private, I choose my students. If they show up, work hard, and practice, they will get better. At some point, I'll pass them up the line to an advanced teacher, and if belts and rank matter...they'll get to earn it from them.

The way I look at it, a student's performance is a reflection on the teacher. No one gets passed up the line if they don't pass my muster first...and that is done class by class.

Leaves fall.

For kyu grades I never fail students. If they are not ready they don't attempt the grading. Telling them they are not ready is the challenge but that can be phrased far more constructively than letting them grade and failing them. While martial arts may not be "the proving ground for political correctness" it is also not neccessary to shatter somebody's self esteem.

For Dan grades the same applies however their is a higher onus on self responsibility in preparation. Occasionally someone will fail a component and we will usually give them the time and support they need to resit that particular component when they are ready.