• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From a McDojo to a real Dojo

datguy

Just got back from the new dojo at which I attend class and I must say it is a lot of work. At my old school (which was a terrible mcdojo) I was an orange belt. Here, my orange belt is half as good as their white belt. Its sad to see how badly a poor organization can misguide somebody. Now that I'm in a more serious dojo, I sure do sweat a lot more needless to say. I have a long way ahead of me but I'm motivated and ready to learn REAL martial arts.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Just got back from the new dojo at which I attend class and I must say it is a lot of work. At my old school (which was a terrible mcdojo) I was an orange belt. Here, my orange belt is half as good as their white belt. Its sad to see how badly a poor organization can misguide somebody. Now that I'm in a more serious dojo, I sure do sweat a lot more needless to say. I have a long way ahead of me but I'm motivated and ready to learn REAL martial arts.

Wow, that's quite the difference. Congrats on finding a better school.

I count myself very lucky in this area. I live in a small town and we only have two options, and the dojo that I go to is pretty good. I would be up a creek if they're were both bad..

Nice! I'm glad you enjoy the training. I have been at my dojo for a few years now and I've noticed that my instructor loses a lot of students because we train hard. I had been working with one person for 6 months to increase their endurance and strength. One day this person quit showing up. When I asked my instructor where they were, he told me they got hit and didn't like it...... its a Karate class!$%@&!

Congratulations. I think it's great that you didn't let the poor quality of your previous dojo put you off from the martial arts altogether. :up:

"What is a wedding? Webster's defines a wedding as the process of removing weeds from ones garden."

I really enjoy it and I guess you could say I have a new understanding of martial arts I guess :wink:

"One day this person quit showing up. When I asked my instructor where they were, he told me they got hit and didn't like it...... its a Karate class!$%@&!"

I guess they were expecting to be the next Bruce Lee or something and finally realized it's hard training! :)

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

I really enjoy it and I guess you could say I have a new understanding of martial arts I guess :wink:

"One day this person quit showing up. When I asked my instructor where they were, he told me they got hit and didn't like it...... its a Karate class!$%@&!"

I guess they were expecting to be the next Bruce Lee or something and finally realized it's hard training! :)

PMSL

Its things like that, that have caused Karate to become a "Soft" art, where the instructors are too scared to let their students make physical contact lol.

I dish out pushups when a student has done wrong, and its amazing how many don't show up the next lesson because of this. Never mind, atleast I'm left with the best (or most idiotic or gluttens for punishment)

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Nice! I'm glad you enjoy the training. I have been at my dojo for a few years now and I've noticed that my instructor loses a lot of students because we train hard. I had been working with one person for 6 months to increase their endurance and strength. One day this person quit showing up. When I asked my instructor where they were, he told me they got hit and didn't like it...... its a Karate class!$%@&!

I've noticed this too in my relatively short time training. We may get several new students at the beginning of a year, but only a few will stick around.

How hard was the guy hit? Six months... That just boggles. :-?

Similar to what Dobbersky mentioned we also do push-ups if people don't seem to be taking things seriously or if a cell phone rings during class.

Someone once said "They're not (derogatory term for weak individuals), they're customers. Not sure how I feel about that.

The idea of pushups as a punitive measure is great for a kids class. I can't imagine it among my peers. We just tell people that if they act like a jerk, we'll throw them down the fire escape.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma