• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Avoiding the Junk

ok I don't have a big family but the problem I seem to run into when it comes to eating healthy, my mom gets home late and she never feels like cooking so we often wind up with take-out and if its really late she tends to buy alot of heat and eat microwave things, and this kinda irritates me a bit cuz my body winds up paying for it in the weight room or whilst training :( :kaioken:

My mom does have Two understandable defenses tho witch I hate to admit and that is: Healthy Quality Food Costs More and I don't get home till 8 P.M

and yes I have went to the store with my mom and she has showed me all throughout krogers, walmart ect.....that this is true and I kinda think it's sad and jacked up that we live in a world wear we can get 12 donuts for 3$ yet bagels are 4.50$ for just 6 :(

I have asked some of my health nut friends at school and even some of my adult health nut friends and they bring up that there is cheap health food you just gotta know wear to find it and knowing how to cook helps alot because they tell me that if your going to be healthy it's really more about shopping for fresh ingredients weather then searching for pre-made things and knowing how to cook teaches you how to make alot out of a little.

So, My question is, What are some Quick and Easy Good Health Dishes You Guys Like to make?, I say quick and easy cuz I don't really like watching food slowly turn and smell Delicious. :lol: I'm impatient when it comes to cooking. :dodgy:

Martial Arts is 90% Mental and Only 10% Physical.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keep veggies around, try to shop more frequently for smaller portions so you can use them fresh. One, they will taste better. Two, they will have much more nutritional value. Lastly, they will be more versatile.

Get used to making salads. Sometimes stuff outside the box of traditional ones. Toss some cucumbers, avocado, and tomatoes together and dress them LIGHTLY with an Italian or vinaigrette.

Or use asperiges and spinach as a base perhaps. Hit it with walnuts or other crunch item. Again, build a dressing or lightly dress with something creamy.

Get creative and check out some recipes for this sort of thing on line. Also, get used to using them in sandwiches. So if you have spinach left over from the above salad, the next day make a spinach based sandwich. I found a recipe that uses avocado (see the first recipe) with spinach and almond butter.

This way, you could shop for about three days and have some pretty good courses. Add a bit of protein around the salads and you've got fresh, good food, pretty easy. Simple pan searing on chicken or fish is easy and google up some spicing combos for each. It will take you minimal time (8-10 min usually) to do this for lean, good nutrients. Spices are relatively cheap and can make the difference in eating the same thing over and over again vs. being excited to eat similar foods that taste different each night.

Also consider using protein supplements if you're really working out a lot. Personally, I try to take in a bulk of protein thru food. But if you feel your recovery is a bit lacking a scoop after workouts can help.

Let us know how things work out.

If you can, go shopping just before closing time. Most places will reduce everything fresh down because they have to get rid of it. It does mean you have to be pretty open to what you're going to cook that evening and things can get pretty ripe but if you don't mind you can get great bargains on loads of things. Go down a fresh fruit & veg market when they're getting ready to close up and you can get loads really cheap. Even can negotiate with the sellers if you're feeling confident.

Another thing to do is grow your own. Salad leaves in a plant pot has to be the easiest plant to grow (even I haven't managed to kill ours yet & I kill cacti!). Pay out once for the seeds and you can have fresh salad all year round and you know where its from.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius