• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Martial Arts Background In A Nutshell!!

sensei8

Shindokan is far from being a watered-down, hybrid version of the martial arts. Shindokan is more akin to a in-your-face type of Karate, and that's primarily because of it's direct and close relationship with Tuite; Shindokan and Tuite both walk hand in hand into battle. While Shindokan isn't perfect, neither is any martial arts for that matter of fact, it's absolutely not a dyed-in-the-wool in both of its methodology/ideology. Shindokan is an effective martial arts, albeit, it's not as well known as the four major styles of Karate today: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu, Shotokan-ryu, and Wado-ryu, and in that, Shindokan is like a knife and fork; basic, yet extremely effective across the board.

My Background in a nutshell:

I was born on October 1957

October 1964 I started studying Shindokan Karate-do Saitou-ryu under my Dai-Soke Yoshinobu Takahashi

June/July [1] 1970 I tested and earned my Junior Black Belt

Fast forward to:

June/July 1975 I tested and earned my Shodan

June/July 1976 I tested and earned my Nidan

June/July 1977 I tested and earned my Sandan [2]

Fast forward to:

June/July 1994 I was awarded my Renshi

June/July 1997 I was awarded my Kyoshi

Fast forward to:

June/July 2000 I tested and earned my Hachidan

June/July 2003 I was awarded my Hanshi

Fast forward to:

June/July 2009 I tested and earned my Hachidan Shindokan Kobudo

That's it in a nutshell.

:)

[1]June/July is our annual testing cycle at out Hombu

[2]I was a JBB for 5 years, therefore, I was still receiving lessons from my Dai-Soke all of those years. By the time I tested for my Sandan, I was more than ready. This testing cycle for my Sandan was approved by both my Dai-Soke, who was Kiacho then, and our Soke. This is my only time that my Yudansha tenure was ever approved earlier than normal.

EDITS: Spelling and added my DOB

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just curious, as I haven't heard much about the style. If you had to say, which of the Okinawan/Japanese styles is it most similar to, in terms of techniques, strategy, and kata? I don't mean in terms of lineage - you've already mentioned the Tuite connection, and most arts that are based in the Naha, Shuri, or Tomari "root forms" are today often vastly different. I'm really just looking for a basis for comparison.

Just curious, as I haven't heard much about the style. If you had to say, which of the Okinawan/Japanese styles is it most similar to, in terms of techniques, strategy, and kata? I don't mean in terms of lineage - you've already mentioned the Tuite connection, and most arts that are based in the Naha, Shuri, or Tomari "root forms" are today often vastly different. I'm really just looking for a basis for comparison.

Shindokan is Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based.

• 3 years later...

I'm sure I would like Shindokan. In the few years since my introduction to Shorin Ryu it certainly opened my eyes to a whole new world.

It's actually kind of embarrassing because I feel like I should pick up things faster than I do, but my Shotokan background and habits actually hamper me to some extent.

When learning tuite sometimes I have to break away from my partner and practice the move like a kata and then try again.

In a real few dust ups during my younger years I always felt comfortable once I got my hands on an opponent and that was with little training. I could hardly imagine my comfort level had I trained in tuite.

WildBourgMan

I'm sure I would like Shindokan. In the few years since my introduction to Shorin Ryu it certainly opened my eyes to a whole new world.

It's actually kind of embarrassing because I feel like I should pick up things faster than I do, but my Shotokan background and habits actually hamper me to some extent.

When learning tuite sometimes I have to break away from my partner and practice the move like a kata and then try again.

In a real few dust ups during my younger years I always felt comfortable once I got my hands on an opponent and that was with little training. I could hardly imagine my comfort level had I trained in tuite.

I do truly think that you'd like Shindokan, and what it offers. For me, it's not surprising when I hear from those who've tasted Shindokan that what they experienced was unexpected...especially in our brand of Tuite!!