• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any other fitness training?

mal103

I got into running to help complement my Karate as I often found myself out of breath during training, I used to set a goal of entering a race (10/13 mile run) to act as a goal to aim for. This ensured that I would get out there and train - it did my karate the world of good!

Just recently I have been slacking on the running and have noticed a decline in general fitness which has meant me being absolutely knackered at the end of an hours training!

I went out today and ran again, I will also get at least 3 running sessions in next week but it may take a few weeks to notice any difference.

Do you use any other fitness regime or do you rely on Karate alone?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I work out at the YMCA a couple oftimes/week withy weights and treadmill (fast walking), but besides getting off the couch to get some chips :roll: , that's about it.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Something that might help with your running is to not use one monumental goal, but several small goals throughout the year every month or so. Let's say for example that I plan on being in a marathon next year (I do, by the way). If I focus all of my effort on that single goal, I'm probably going to burn out pretty fast or just get bored. Instead, I'm going to set several small goals throughout the next year. For example, my calender has circled next weekend for a 5 mile race. I can run 5 miles fairly easily, but it's something to keep me focused. There is a handful of similar races circles throughout the next year of different lengths and other conditions (including a race up a local skyscraper). It helps if you find your local running community (you can probably find it from a google search pretty easily), and you can probably get to know some people, and beating them in small races will help motivate you through the months

Something else that could help is to divide up the way you work out by month (I'm about to describe periodization if you want to look up more, but also my own exercise program). My goal for the month of July might be to increase how quickly I get off the line to my running pace. So, I might divide my exercise week up like this:

Monday: Series of 'burst' drills, where I go from a dead start, hit the start button on my watch, and time how long it takes me to get into my rhythm. Record and track over the month.

Tuesday: Arms, Shoulders, Upperback

Wednesday: Regular distance run

Thursday: Abdominal, Oblique, Lower Back, Hips, etc

Friday: Series of 'burst' drills

Saturday: General Upper Body

Sunday: Off

I'll do that for a month, and then change up what I do on Monday and Friday, or maybe even just do distance runs, or just lift weights, or just use a bike, or change the terrain I'm running on (like going from running on side walks to beaches), or stopping at certain distances to do push ups on the side of the road, or so on. It helps keep your muscles from getting used to what they're doing and helps keep you from getting bored.

Or you could cheat and get someone to go running with you. Also, record and track EVERYTHING. It gives you an amazing amount of motivitation to sit down and go look at how much you've improved over the months.

All of that aside, I run (obviously), lift weights, and do some other crazy things

Kettlebell circuits (lower reps), going over basics to get some cardio, and long walks when I can fit them in (usually 2-3 times a week at least). I stretch a little bit, but probably should be stretching more.

P90X is massively overpriced. You could get the same basic workout by talking to basically any personal trainer. The only thing P90X has over anything else is it's marketing.

P90X is massively overpriced. You could get the same basic workout by talking to basically any personal trainer. The only thing P90X has over anything else is it's marketing.

That may be, but it also has the luxury of being able to do the workout at home, without hiring a personal trainer or driving to the gym. If someone likes to work out at home, then it would probably be a good fit, if they want to pay for it.