• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Two Generic Fitness Questions

I just got over a hamstring pull(back of the leg) and it took about 6 weeks total. First week just rice, weeks 2 and 3 light stretching and after that foam rolling heat and stretching. About to start back on the strength training as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some of that muscle spray stuff is good as well. There are lots of types on the market. Keep one in your bag.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

For the muscle, rest it for sure. Rest both legs. Just walk for now, and don't kick or run too much. Sudden changes of direction and sudden stopping and starting will aggravate it, too. Rest is going to be your best friend for now. RICE is a good idea to follow, especially the REST part of it.

For the odd-shaped arm, I'd continue to work both arms, and do compound barbell exercises to make them both work, as opposed to dumbell exercises.

For the odd-shaped arm, I'd continue to work both arms, and do compound barbell exercises to make them both work, as opposed to dumbell exercises.

+1 for that...if you are concerned about bodybuilding/appearance, then by all means, train the weak side so as to make them more similar looks-wise. However, if you are more concerned about functional strength, as I think you might be, then yes - compound, multiple joint exercises are the way to go. Your weaker arm, as well as the stabilizing muscles around it, will eventually catch up, and you'll be less likely to create a further imbalance that will lead to injury.