• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Two Generic Fitness Questions

Hello,

Last week I (am pretty sure that I) pulled a muscle in my leg while trying to practice sport kicks. I was on pavement, wearing sneakers and had already been practicing for one-and-one-half hours (in the heat). Between heat, physical exhaustion and surface friction I couldn't get myself to pivot properly. I heard a pop. That's why I'm sure I pulled it.

I've been stretching it diligently every day but it's getting MORE stiff. This begs the question; should I leave it alone or should I keep stretching it? Also, it's been a while since I had a pulled muscle in my leg so I can't remember how long they usually take to heal. How long do they usually take to heal?

The second question is of my arms. One is MUCH stronger than the other. It's even noticeable to the naked eye. My theory is that I have to get more diligent about lifting weights exclusively with my left arm in order to fix this. Some have said I should keep lifting with both arms. Which is correct? Which lifts should I be doing? Also, for how long each time and how frequently?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know the answer to the first question, but for the second, I would recommend training both sides. Until your other arm gets up to speed. One of my traps was way more developed than my other side, so I worked the other side a lot. I ended up with the other side being way more developed. I should have worked both of them the same. They'll even out.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

1. I believe most people recommend light stretching with RICE.

2.I think in general you would probably still train both but do more sets with the weaker arm.

BTW shotokan kid im glad you are posting again as your styles follow the same as mine with Shotokan, JKD, BJJ etc. We are similar in that aspect.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

This one threw me off. Stretch in a tub filled with rice? Stretch and then eat rice? Or is RICE an acronym for something that describes the method I should be using to stretch?

This one threw me off. Stretch in a tub filled with rice? Stretch and then eat rice? Or is RICE an acronym for something that describes the method I should be using to stretch?

Sorry it stands for rest,ice,compression and elevation.

So in other words strap it up, ice it for 10mins every 2 hours or so and just rest it. The elevation is more for swelling.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Oh dang. I have bad luck with physicians and no money so I'd like to avoid that. I think it's getting better though. It doesn't hurt as much today. I'll also have to get an ice tray soon here because I have no way of making ice either.