• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

beginner concerned about age

Mr. E

Its never too late!

I started when I was 17 and like a LOT of teenagers, got bored and stopped going (BIG mistake). I started again when I was 38 in Wado Ryu and changed to Shotokan at 42 and I am quite pleased with my progress. Karate isn't all about being able to touch the floor with your nads while doing the box splits or doing a flying round house. Its about focus, inner as well as outer strength and confidence in your own ability while doing good basic, solid techniques, imo!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age doesn't matter. It's just a number. I'm currently the oldest student in my group class. I'm 14, and I feel sorta left out. But I'm not changing to another group class. I'd say go for it. They have adult classes at my school for people over 16.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• 4 weeks later...

did many styles of martial arts when i was younger... When I had my kids, i moved far from my schools so..I kinda stop for family,money etc reasons.

I came back at it almost 8 years later.

I've been going non-stop at it since...2 to 4 times a week depending my schedule at work. (for almost 3 years now)....

The only thing i've found hard to get back was my flexibility and cardio.

Those two thing..(with age) kinda go off lol...

So I'm working on these two pretty hard.

But.....What i'm trying to say is....There's no age to start martial arts.

There's health issue for sure but....That's another story.

If you're 60 and want to start...your master won't make you jump and roll on the first class...You will go with what you can and become better in time.

Those who wants to rush in martial arts...... shouldn't do it anyway.

If your goal is to reach the black belt..thinking it's over ...Well.....

IT'S NEVER OVER!...Martial arts is for life...

Some say that from white to black,you're learning the technics....from black to death, you become one with them.

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

Some say that from white to black,you're learning the technics....from black to death, you become one with them.

Sooooo well said.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

I started when I was 37 (with my daughter, who has subsequently quit). Although part of me wishes that I had started when I was younger I also recognize that had I started earlier in life I probably wouldn't have even lasted a month. What I now lack in flexibility I make up for with a better understanding of myself, my challenges in training, and how to overcome or work around them.

• 10 months later...

it's never too late. I am 45 years old. I just started a month ago.and not only am I 45, but I am rather broken. I had a terrible car accident in 2009 that left me with 11 pins and screws in my left leg. I was in a motorcycle accident November of last year, broke 3 ribs, punctured a lung and bruised my liver. 20 plus years ago when I was in the Marine Corps I fractured both of my knee caps. A few years after that, I was broadsided by a drunk driver and broke my shoulder. That's not stopping me, nor is age. I look at it this way... I often regret notstarting 10 years ago. 10 years from now, I won't have that regret :-)

That's the spirit Rez!

I was thinking earlier after listening to 2 younger work collegues talking about sitting around watching Tv most evenings...

I thought hang on - when you are very old and CANNOT do anything then there will be plenty of hours and days sat around watching TV!

Keep active while you can. There are plenty of people who are struck down with sudden illnesses, or like Rez in accidents, I can think of nothing worse than taking my last breath wishing I had done more.

It's bad enough going to bed wishing you had done something more with your day.

WOW now that's a name I've not heard for a while.

Ticky Donovan...trained with him once on the beach, a summer coarse as I recall.

I started training when I was 18....that was a few years ago.

Age is not the end of it, step up and try the club, it will feel odd, be assured of that but it will or will not feel right.

If its not right find another style and try them.

Do a few, one will feel right, and that'll be the one for you!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 2 months later...