• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Work Out?

I'm gonna be taking Karate again soon, and I was wondering what I needed to do to get a really good workout to go along with my training. I don't mind if it's very intense, since I want to look good too.

I'm 6'4, thin (I guess ectomorph?), but I still have some strength to me.

Do I want to do cardio, or weightlifting? If I do weightlifting, should I focus on getting bigger?

Also, what supplements should I take?

And diet? What are some good foods to eat while training? Protein rich? Or fat free and healthy?

Help!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well you didn't list what type of karate you're taking, so it's hard to fine tune what you're looking for.

as a general rule of thumb, you want to maximize your strength while minimizing the size you add. bulky muscles may look nice, but they also limit your agility in tight quarters like ground game, grappling etc. in Judo strong biceps are a great plus, but big biceps also give your opponent something to grab on to.

I always focus on core strength because that' where most of your power and explosiveness will be generated.

power cleans, squats, deadlifts, crunches, back extensions, chin-ups, dips will get your core in really good shape. You can look up a workout routine called starting strength for a great start where you'll see very quick strength gains.

on top of that i'd immediately start doing long sets of deep lunges, push-ups, and crunches. get your thighs, abs, chest, and back as strong as you can. it will help a ton in stabilization and balance.

there's also ways to maximize explosiveness and power (kettle ball training etc), but that would come after you've begun building your overall strength. I know i mention this a lot on here, but you can't take your own fitness level serious enough when it comes to MA. not only will it make your own style feel more natural, and give your dojo mates a better experience (as they get to train against someone of decent strength and conditioning), but it will greatly reduce the risk of injury to yourself.

PLUS cardio cardio cardio cardio. I can't think of a single legit school that won't run your behind into the ground your first month or so there. I shared my own personal story where just to join up i had to prove that i could jump rope 15 minutes straight.

As far as what you should eat, well that's up to your training. If you're looking to gain strength and cardio, plus martial arts training your calorie intake is going to go through the roof! eat clean when you can. i've made some small changes to my diet that have had a massive impact on my health. Like i switched all my breads, pasta's and rice intake to whole wheat options (which i've found i like a lot better).

fiber helps the metabolism, and therefore the elimination of toxins from the body. also being a protein source in carb form, which will allow you to sneak more protein into your diet without even realizing it. peanut butter is a great fat for supporting healthy testosterone levels, which will help with muscle building.

i always take a multi vitamin as well. as far as supplements, they're way less important than the working out itself, so i wouldn't worry much about them. i always down a protein shake after my morning gym sessions, and a protein shake mixed with a carb (like a vanilla shake with a yogurt dumped in) to replenish after dojo sessions.

i also take acidophilus regularly as it helps build up healthy bacteria, which coats the skin and helps you fend off things you can get from class like ring worm etc. Anti-bacterial soaps and whatnot usually build really resistant bacteria, and since we use anti-bacterial stuff on our mats, hands, etc that can be a bad combo. I prefer to do the opposite and foster a healthy bacterial life, something i learned form eddie bravo's jujutsu school. i've read tons of mma guys do the same thing, and many mat companies now have a pro-biotic wash/coating that fosters bacteria that actually fights off bad ones.

this is a ton of info i realize, so if i were you i'd keep it all in mind, but i'd defintely start doing lunges, building my cardio, doing push-ups/chin-ups, and crunches, while adding a protein shake after my workouts. those changes alone would be of massive benefit.

I agree that being in good cardiovascular shape will be a huge plus; this coming from someone who is not in great cardio shape, and suffers for it at times.

You could also try to talk to a sports trainer, and see if someone could come up with some sport-specific training to go with your Karate training.