• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have missed almost the whole year through injury

Jay

How do you guys deal with long term injurys. I have torn one of the ligaments in my knee luckily its not ruptured but I did the same thing in my ankle a few months ago and have missed almost 6 months of training. I have just been increadibly unlucky and also lucky not to seriously damage myself. My physio has been going well but I don't think I will be back at training for a long time yet until my knee is 100% im not going to risk it because randori is hard enough on two good legs. I don't know what to do with myself plus this is my last few months with this club and I have missed the whole thing.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Deal with the injury first, worry about martial arts later. If you don't deal with the injury first, you may end up never being able to do martial arts again instead of just taking a 1 year layoff, which in the grand scheme of things isn't that bad.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Take your time, and let it heal, i have only been able to train off and on for the last 4 1/2 years, because of a nearly fatal car accident that destroyed my left arm. I just do what i can without hurting it, and teach my kids as often as i can, and that seams to help me deal with the things i can't do anymore. The martial arts did help me to heal much better and faster than i should have, but you have to listen to your doctors, and not over do it.

yes take your time. Rest, I have serious knee problems. and there are certain things in karate i am unable to do because of my knee. My knee's tend to lock up when i run, and i fall and cant get back up. Not good since i am only 20 years old.

but. when that happens i just put ice on it for about 5 min and then im all good again and go back to what i wa doing. when we are supposed to run, i just walk.

Now an orangebelt!!!

Thanks, I guess this thread was just to vent my frustration. I don't think im going to be good before I have to leave the club which is a shame, I was very lucky that I didn't tear my ACL otherwise that can be very serious. Probably would never be the same again.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.