• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrist pain

DWx

So I think I sprained my wrist 4 weeks ago.. not sure how but did something during training as woke up with it the next day. Basically it doesn't hurt normally, just when I rotate my wrist. Its not so bad rotating outwards (although hurts a little), I just really can't rotate it inwards at all (as in palm up). I get a sharp pain about 2 inches down from the wrist above the ulna. Its weird because I have a friend who's a physio and she said it seemed like a sprain so I had it strapped and iced and everything but still no obvious improvement after 4 weeks.

Anyone had anything like this before?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I understand that the difference between a pain that aches and a pain that's sharp is that the latter means to go to the doctor. You might be prolonging or even worsening the injury, Danielle. I realize you don't want to lose training time, but it's really important to have it checked out before it grows worse and even more time would be lost.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yeah I know I probably should go to a doc :( Its just a pain getting myself an appointment and I don't know if I can be bothered. The NHS is a great system for free healthcare until you're a student like me and get held up by the bureaucracy that goes with it. I have to be registered for healthcare in the town I'm at uni. Not a problem really... until I'm on vacation like I will be for the next month! Because I'm registered in York, it means I have to get treatment in York, not in my hometown. I've had problems before getting treatment because they wouldn't treat me at home during the Christmas holidays and they basically told me to travel the 200 miles back to uni to see a GP up there because they couldn't book me hospital appointments, scans etc. outside my local health authority. So yeah.. if I want it seen I have to hang around at uni instead of going home for Easter and its not bothering me enough to do that.

Two thoughts:

1) Can you re-register at your home GP for the purpose of being seen over the hols? Were you registered there before you went to uni?

2) I thought that they couldn't deny someone treatment for not being registered. When I first arrived in the UK I got really ill and was able to go see the local GP even though I wasn't registered there and they weren't even taking new patients at the time. I was a student too.

Edited to add a third thought - when I injured my hand at Kings Cross I didn't go to the GP, I went right to A&E and got it xrayed. Why not do that?

Two thoughts:

1) Can you re-register at your home GP for the purpose of being seen over the hols? Were you registered there before you went to uni?

2) I thought that they couldn't deny someone treatment for not being registered. When I first arrived in the UK I got really ill and was able to go see the local GP even though I wasn't registered there and they weren't even taking new patients at the time. I was a student too.

Edited to add a third thought - when I injured my hand at Kings Cross I didn't go to the GP, I went right to A&E and got it xrayed. Why not do that?

They can see me for emergency treatment wherever but something like this, which may need long-term treatment, isn't classed as emergency. Even if I went to A&E and waited there for hours (which I wouldn't like doing anyway because its not something that needs emergency treatment) they can't get me physio appointments at home or other long-term treatment, would have to be at uni. I was registered at home and I can see them for emergencies but like when I hurt my neck (another training injury :roll:) just got told I probably would need physio but I'd have to go back to uni and see someone there. I can re-register at home but then I have the opposite problem of getting treatment at uni (should I need it) and they would have to keep sending my files back and forth. Just a whole lot of hassle.

Two thoughts:

They can see me for emergency treatment wherever but something like this, which may need long-term treatment, isn't classed as emergency. Even if I went to A&E and waited there for hours (which I wouldn't like doing anyway because its not something that needs emergency treatment) they can't get me physio appointments at home or other long-term treatment, would have to be at uni. I was registered at home and I can see them for emergencies but like when I hurt my neck (another training injury :roll:) just got told I probably would need physio but I'd have to go back to uni and see someone there. I can re-register at home but then I have the opposite problem of getting treatment at uni (should I need it) and they would have to keep sending my files back and forth. Just a whole lot of hassle.

I know this feeling, I was ill at home once and was told I wasn't able to see my own doctor as they didn't have my records because they were at uni. So much for digital copies of records eh?

It does just sound like a sprain by the way, I think you should be okay, just keep icing alot it does help, do you write with that hand? One thing it could be is like a repetitive strain injury, not what caused the injury but what is continuing to cause you pain, if you do alot of typing or whatever.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

So I think I sprained my wrist 4 weeks ago.. not sure how but did something during training as woke up with it the next day. Basically it doesn't hurt normally, just when I rotate my wrist. Its not so bad rotating outwards (although hurts a little), I just really can't rotate it inwards at all (as in palm up). I get a sharp pain about 2 inches down from the wrist above the ulna. Its weird because I have a friend who's a physio and she said it seemed like a sprain so I had it strapped and iced and everything but still no obvious improvement after 4 weeks.

Anyone had anything like this before?

You should contact to a physician and get properly cured... I think that there is no swear problem and can cured easily soon.... Take care of yourself.........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...