• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recommendation for heart rate monitor?

Elizabeth

Hello,

I may need to get a heart rate monitor - the reason is to make sure I stay out of the anaerobic range when I am at karate class. (I'd rather not get into the medical reason of why right now.) I've never used one and until a few minutes ago didn't even know they required a chest strap! I think I thought they read your pulse off your wrist.

I'm posting to find out if anyone has any recommendations for particular models. It doesn't have to be fancy, but something that would be fairly comfortable (where exactly do the chest straps go on a woman?) and would give me the option of having an alarm sound if my heart rate goes above my aerobic range would be great. Budget is adjustable but ideally it'd be under $100. And preferably the wrist part would be not too bulky so it wouldn't interfere with partner work in my karate class.

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not sure how critical your exact heart rate is to your medical condition but I'd recommend not using a heart rate monitor

I think it would be very annoying to train with one on.

Instead, save your money and use use the 'Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) Scales.

Use the Borg scale (6-20) as this is easier to relate to actual heart rates.

For example 13 (130 bpm) is somewhat hard, can talk in short sentences and could continue exercising at that rate for 30 - 45 mins.

I'm sure if you google it something will come up.

Elizabeth, There are dozens of options out there for heart rate monitors. I've only used a couple of them, and then only for running. Be careful if you wear it during sparring. The one I'm most familiar with is Polar, and it's relatively comfortable - I tend to forget about it after a while. Women wear the chest strap at the same place men do: just below the sternum/breasts/apex of the heart. Good luck!