• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

training alone

omg, i have to move to this twon with no martial arts areas anywhere,(but only for a semester), and i just want to know how i can work on some things on my own.

-balance(actually i didnt know how to work on my balance in the first place)

-speed

-counter attacking

-blocks and parrys

-footwork

thats what i can think of right now.well please, o great martial artist of these forums, u guys MUST know how to do it alone.

Patrick gubek

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well balence is simple enough stand on one foot and close your eyes for as long as you can...(This is what the docs told me to do when I broke my ankle so I guess it might apply)

If you want to pratice all of these thing I sugust doing your katas they pretty much sum up all the things you mentioned....if you don't study katas in your style get a heavy bag/makiwara and hit it. Pratice combos, kicks strikes etc. and try to stay in shape, work out whenever you can ...

I found when I miss great lenghts of training reading martial arts books are extremely valuable in building your knowledge and keeping and interest.(I don't mean the books that teach you katas...if you want some suggestions I can make another post just ask.)

hope this helps Good luck!!

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Well you can always work on what you have learned so far. It'll keep your memory sharp and keep you focused. Once you've established yourself there in the town with no martial arts, get to know someone who will be interested in training or learning. You may be able to establish a satellite club for your dojo. :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

If your style does kata. Do it over and over so you will not forget them. You can never do a kata enough even the lower onves.

If not invest in a punching bag and have fun. It will help with speed, power, endurance, etc.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

[color=blue][/color]I agree with Leaf and G95. I usually work out 1 1/2 hrs every morning. I do all my hyung (from white to 2nd degree) in low stance, a ton of staff spinning, some sword cutting, and some ab work. I try to alternate in some other aspects when possible.

To add some variety, and help your balance, do your forms (if you have any) outside in shoes. Do them one sidewalks, driveways, and relatively even grassy areas.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

If your style does kata. Do it over and over so you will not forget them. You can never do a kata enough even the lower onves.

If not invest in a punching bag and have fun. It will help with speed, power, endurance, etc.

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

for balance you can hold a kick out for a certain count (maybe start with 10 seconds and work your way up). I do this with roundhouse, side, and front kicks. It's a great help to my balance.

katas and combination drills are very good for some of the other training.

One thing i do to practice parrying and counter attacking:

i kind of make a home made wodden dummy.

i have a bar table in the basement, and i take a barstool and set it up on the bar - this gives me 2 sets of hands attacking me (1 set high, 1 set low)

if i'm going to practice wrist locks, i will put karate pads on for the hands.

it is the best i found if you have to practice alone. Nothing can be as good as practicing with another person.

Good luck

I train alone a lot. Basically just do my katas, shadow box and try to work on my speed. Sparring is the thing you need to watch. I believe without sparring you will not get better at it no matter how much you train.

ah yes, "doing it alone" ... I'm sure there are several martial artists here that do :D ... train alone.....

In fact, outside of the dojo I'm almost sure most of us do. I have a room with a wall mounted mirror to do my form in front of, a wavemaster, various free weights, resistance bands to work on kicks, balance beam... etc. etc.

'Cept for sparring ... everything else can be done .... alone.

I had a simular experience in college and after a time found a club that met on campus (it was free to students :D ). Although it was a different style, it enhanced my experience level. I also trained on my own practicing my katas and combinations. Eventually, I found a guy in the same boat that was a 1st degree in Isshin Ryu and we started our own workouts. Keep your eyes open and you shall see!!!

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.