• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how to increase push up count

ashvin

Try the program at http://hundredpushups.com/ - I've been doing it and seeing results.

I've been using it too - it's nothing special, but having the app on your phone helps to keep a record and makes me more likely to finish the task. So results do happen :)

This is pretty decent for at least just getting you to stick to a program. In time, you'll improve.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At 6'3" 165lbs you are very lean. There may be a nutritional element holding back your strength training. I don't want to sound ignorant, but I know very little about life in India. If you are able to help yourself to more food, that might be a good place to start. I'm 6'1" 230lbs and I can do about 50 push-ups. In the US we have a variety of protein shakes/muscle gainers we add to water. It's mostly whey and is derived from dairy products. That may not be acceptable in your culture. I do know that eggs are available and accepted in india. If you can get more eggs, they will supply your protein. Short answer; get more protein and keep trying to improve.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

Well, you've already got a lot of great advice and so, I don't know what I could add except...

If you do 50 each day for a week, then increase it by 1 each week, etc, etc; before the years out, you'll have increased your push up count substantially. Of course, it's not about quantity, it's about quality.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks to all for great tips.

I feel reducing the worry part after reading replies.

My Sensei has advised to do 'knee push up'.

and

Well, another thing My Sensei has advised to take "pineapple juice with honey" and "boil egg". Being strict vegetarian, I don’t know anything about boil egg, I have been advised to eat the white part and remove yellow one or vice versa not remembering exactly.

Can any one add any further clarification?

Thanks to all for great tips.

I feel reducing the worry part after reading replies.

My Sensei has advised to do 'knee push up'.

and

Well, another thing My Sensei has advised to take "pineapple juice with honey" and "boil egg". Being strict vegetarian, I don’t know anything about boil egg, I have been advised to eat the white part and remove yellow one or vice versa not remembering exactly.

Can any one add any further clarification?

I am an avid meat eater, but you are not. Have some beans and rice. Then you get the same protein. There is no need to compromise your principles. Just keep training.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that it is not the first of the set of pushups that helps, but the last couple that your eally have to push through which will help increase numbers per set.

I just focus on going until my arms start to shake, then MAKE myself push out a couple more. I've gone from 20-40 per set in a few weeks focusing on this.

Also - the comment on protien is a pretty key factor in muscle development. If you are low on protien and muscle mass, then you will be eating away at your body reserves instead of putting on muscle....

Some high protien vegetarian foods readily available in India are:

Cashews,

Lentils,

Mushrooms,

Milks (Goat etc),

Tofu,

Black beans and Kidney Beans.

Hope this helps and best of luck! :)

OSU!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."