• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weightlifters?

soclydeza

i was wondering what kind of routines everyone does. what weight lifting routines/programs do you think go hand in hand with martial arts training?

ive personally been doing a program called HCT-12 for a while, it's been going real well for me (its gears toward hypertrophy and strength).

also i'm interested in seeing what other weightlifters on here do, that treat lifting separately from MA training but let them complement each other.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good, structured, beginner's strength workout.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

When you get more advanced, you can seek out stuff like kettlebell training. Getting stronger can only help you. You won't get big, bulky muscle, like a body builder, just from strength training. It takes a dedicated diet to get that big. We're talking specific amounts of protein daily as well as tons of calories.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Here is a good, structured, beginner's strength workout.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

When you get more advanced, you can seek out stuff like kettlebell training. Getting stronger can only help you. You won't get big, bulky muscle, like a body builder, just from strength training. It takes a dedicated diet to get that big. We're talking specific amounts of protein daily as well as tons of calories.

I was on that routine. Now I just do bodyweight training. But it was a very good routine. I would say though that if you do stronglifts do the second edition the new one is a bit watered down which is unecessary if you start from the beginning.

Im doing a routine from convict conditioning atm its good because I don't need any barbells or weights.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

That's a good point, but strong lifts from the VERY beginning is a good idea if you've never worked with a trainer before. Your form is bound to have some holes in it. It would almost be worth it to take one personal training session at a gym to get your form correct, and then start the program from the beginning.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

I tend to go with Kuma here. Most of my program, when I can stay healthy, revolves around the core lifts. Bench, Squat, Deads, Cleans, ect. With some other exercises thrown in to round things out that are seocndary in nature.

Remember, if your goal is ma, then you're not trying to be a body builder so stay away from those routines. Focus on stuff that is multi joint in nature and demands core work to do correctly.

Also, don't be afraid to be inventive with exercises. I use crossfit.com quite a bit to pull from in regards to both conditioning and weight routines. Weights are great, but the are supplimental, as you suggest. You're definalty thinking along the right lines for your goals. To get better at ma's do more ma's.

Not everyone will agree with me but I find that doing weights slows me down. I don't mean the extra body mass gets in the way, just that doing them right takes its toll on the the muscles short term so there's a trade off when it comes to generating explosive power on the dojo floor.

When I do a round of weights, which hasn't been for a while, it's usually for 10 weeks or so followed by a good month or so of plyometrics and medicine ball work concentrating on turning that newfound strength into something more suitable for karate.

Compound exercises are the best. and if you're not doing squats you're not doing squat.

we all have our moments

That's a good point, but strong lifts from the VERY beginning is a good idea if you've never worked with a trainer before. Your form is bound to have some holes in it. It would almost be worth it to take one personal training session at a gym to get your form correct, and then start the program from the beginning.

What happened to me was I started at a 1BW squat and started to find it tough when I got to 1.5 squatting 3x a week is very hard. Problem was I hadn't built up the necessary conditioning, which on any program is very important. Even if you think you can do more its not always best to go 100% you need to build up slowly. You don't just go and run a marathon you build up to it.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I think we both said the same things in different ways. Basically, start at the beginning.

As far as weight training not helping your martial arts, I just don't think that's true. To get a body builder's physique you need genetics, chemical assistance (legal or not), and a whole lot of calories and protein. If you eat a standard 2500 calorie a day (for men) 2000 calorie a day (for women) diet, you will not bulk. You will just get stronger, your muscles will get more dense. You might put on some weight, but it will be in lean mass, and you'll lose fat. Every world class athlete does some form of strength training, even runners.

For people who don't have a lot of experience with strength training, it is important that they start on a structured program. When they have more experience, they can put together their own kind of maintenance program. Structured programs will make you stronger faster than just doing your own thing.

- Tao Te Ching