• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kettlebells anyone???...

yamesu

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here does routine training with kettlebells...

I just acquired a 20kg (i think about 48 pounds?) kettlebell and have been giving it a go. I am actually really enjoying it, but am trying to ease myself into it at the moment.

Happy to hear any POV from forum members, as well as any tips/tricks or other advice.

OSU-

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm a kettle bell user. I usually do multiple body part exercises. For example, starting from a squat position with the bell on my side... stand straight while lifting the kettle bell above my head. Most of the exercises I use I learned by searching "kettle bell exercises" on utube. For me, the kettle bell allows me to work those stability muscles while working the major muscle groups.

I occassionally use them in conditioning. Mainly swings, cleans, TGU's, things like that. They are pretty useful.

Never had the chance. Our instructor said he was going to be getting some for the gym, but they never did show up. I've heard good things about them.

I've used them during some crossfit style workouts. They are a good way to do some dynamic exercises. The stuff we do is pretty basic stuff that tallgeese mentioned (although I have no idea what a TGU is?)

Exercise Reps

Deadlift 10

Two-hand swing 10

One-hand swing 10

Squat-pull 10

Single press 10

Bent-over row 10

Single floor press 10

Alternating Press-up into leg raise 10

Work through list 3 times from top to botte. Rest 1 mins between exercises. Rest 3 mins bewteen cycles.

This is what I started with. I did a little research on exercises that beinfited my Karate study. You can increase the reps each week.

Hope this helps a little.

• 1 month later...

Kettle Worx put out a DVD set for a 6 week program to burn fat and build muscle. I use it and it is great. An awesome workout to be honest. I started with a lighter weight to get used to using it but i have to tell you it is a true full body workout and has really helped me.

First learn stand...then learn fly...nature's rule..Daniel-san, not mine.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

• 4 weeks later...

Kettlebells are a great training tool, but I would pay for a class with a trainer who has a lot of experience with them. You'll spend some money, but you'll prevent injuries that can cost you a lot more time and money down the line. Certain kettlebell lifts can be extremely hard on the back if you don't have correct form.

Most of Josh Hilis' stuff is for women, but you might be able to contact him for trainers in your area. This is his blog. As it is a blog for women, he uses pictures of women in workout gear. It's totally safe for work to me, but I'm not sure how strict other offices are. Or how strict some people's wives are haha.

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Geogiant - thanks, that is essentially the type of excersizes I am going for, full body motion not just general bodybuilding type motion...

Tallgeese - I'm only just now geting used to the swings, utilising my abs/butt to pull the weight as opposed ot my arms, but it is a good workout!! TGU's are killer.. I am struggling a little to get more than a rep or two out with the weight I am using...

Bushido_man96 - after havign used one for a couple of weeks now, and havign never been a fan of traditional weights (barbells etc) I would personally recommend!

Sperki - TGU = Turkish Get Up... Its a weird excersize, but gives a whole body isometric like a handstand does. I am actually still struggling with it a little, but decided just to take baby steps until I get the whole movement down pat!

Jeffrey - sounds like a full-on workout!!!! Im doing only a fraction of all of that at present in conjunction with my regular training, but aim to work up to something similar... Thanks for the routine :)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."