• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rotator cuff injury.

wolverine uskf

While teaching my boy's the other day, i went for a possition change while grappling with my older son, and he caught me in an arm bar. Being the teacher and the dad, i thought, ok i can get out of this. Well 2 weeks later the doctors says it isn't torn, it's just inflamed, and it is starting to get better. The lesson is, no matter how good you think you are, you still have to pay attention, and be humble enough to admit when you've been caught in a mistake.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Ouch! Like most, I think the amount of time it takes me to heal is a big factor in not letting my ego dictate when to tap.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Ouch! Like most, I think the amount of time it takes me to heal is a big factor in not letting my ego dictate when to tap.

Solid post!!

Its funny how age effects you. I work out with one of the BB's 16 year old sons, mainly because this kid scares the other kids his age, but this kid will not tap and he is still young enough that he can bend certain joints like his elbow beyond the typical break point. Every time I work arm bars with this kid he's always telling me, "hey I didn't tap!"

Solid post!!

Its funny how age effects you. I work out with one of the BB's 16 year old sons, mainly because this kid scares the other kids his age, but this kid will not tap and he is still young enough that he can bend certain joints like his elbow beyond the typical break point. Every time I work arm bars with this kid he's always telling me, "hey I didn't tap!"

Oh to be young again...and flexible....and, well, you know, at my age, everything is an "and"!!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Its good the injury wasn't serious. A torn rotator cuff could put you out for quite some time. A lucky little reminder for you, I'd say.

Yea, i guess i need to remember, that i'm not as strong or as fast as i was, and the boys are just getting stronger and faster all the time.

I guess thats what happens when you get hit buy a truck, and then you get old to boot. :lol:

Honestly though, they are improving faster than i think i ever did.

• 1 month later...
Yea, i guess i need to remember, that i'm not as strong or as fast as i was, and the boys are just getting stronger and faster all the time.

I guess thats what happens when you get hit buy a truck, and then you get old to boot. :lol:

Honestly though, they are improving faster than i think i ever did.

To answer that they are improving faster then you ever did. Training has been influenced so much more by science now. Also there is more stuff in our food to help you grown stronger if you work out and not just sit on the couch. Another big thing is the way in which we workout outside the gym now a days is so much different in the last 20 years.

It's like when people argue baseball players. Today players are just flat out better athletes because of their gym time and supplements Mickey Mantle was great and maybe he would have benefited from the work out programs of today but he just wasn't as strong or fast or able to bounce back from injury like guys today can.

First learn stand...then learn fly...nature's rule..Daniel-san, not mine.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i finally felt my shoulder was strong enough to sparr again on saturday, and i did better than i did befor i got hurt. My striking was much smoother and faster than it has been in a long time, and in grappling i never had to tap, and taught the boys some holds i had nearly forgotten. I guess i needed a reality check, to make me step up, and be the teacher not just a sparring partner.

I guess i was still seeing them as the little kids i used to teach without them really realizing it, because i made it like a game when they were little, but now they are 135lbs and 175lbs, and they lift weights 2 days a week, and they wrestle with their friends all the time.

I guess 4 years of physical therapy for me, ment 4 years of growing and maturing for them.

Did i mention i hate getting old, and realizing my babies are becoming men.