• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

daily routine, increase power idea's

ian118118

What's the difference between knuckle push-ups and palm push-ups when it comes to growing? It wouldn't change the weight or pressure on the long bones.

It would change the pressure at the ends of the metacarpals, stressing the epiphyseal plates. With palm push-ups the weight would be more distributed and it wouldn't surprise me if the radius and ulna offered greater surface area. I can see it being an issue.

we all have our moments

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Todome, you think that by doing a palm push-up the weight is distributed across your had enough to take the load off the epiphyseal plates in the radius, ulnar, and humerus? Clearly it would take the weight off your metacarpals, but that would only save you from having short palms.

After thinking about this a bit more (and pulling out my anatomy text - Todome, you've really got me working here!) it seems like your bones are pretty much designed to hold your body weight. Otherwise standing would keep folks down. Although maybe that's why we're taller today than 100 years ago - we spend more time sitting as kids. I would argue that doing push-ups or air squats will not have a negative effect on growth.