• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keypoints in doing Stretching for begginers..

pinoy_1

I'd like to know jay from your daily routine what comes first when you do your training, the static or dynamic stretching??

I would like to hear it from the other guys also who posted reply on this thread. Thank you.

As far as class goes, just follow along, it seems that you warmup before you start stretching so your teacher is right about that, as far as your home training, stretching everyday is a MUST! I would recommend warming up then follow with dynamic stretches and static followed with isometric stretches which will really make you flexible and give you the ability to not only kick high but hold your kicks as well. I would do those only 3 times a week.

Courtesy & Respect - Integrety - Self control - Perserverance - Indomitable Spirit

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
maybe someone else can confirm because i'm about to reiterate what i was taught (which i'm not sure how accurate it is lol)...

but growing up in karate, i was told we did it all wrong according to more current studies... supposedly, it's better to warm your body up first, then do dynamic stretching... static stretching (ie: splits) is supposed to be done at the end of your workouts, never before... supposedly you lose power when you stretch statically before you workout...

again, i'm not sure how true that is, just what i was told by someone who reads all kinds of scientific journals and stuff lol

also, my sensei and his cousin both can kick to the head and past no problem... they barely have to rotate their upper body back to throw a mawashigeri to the head but the funny thing is... they can't even come close to doing the splits! lol... they pretty much only do dynamic stretching, leg raises etc... one of my sempais does leg raises upon waking and before bed and he seems real flexible w/his kicks... but he can't do a split for crap either lol...

idk though... this is something i am no expert on... just posting what i was told and some thing's i've noticed

He's quite correct :) Splits and high kicks use two different types of flexibility, kicks use dynamic flexibility, this is developed by doing leg raises to the front, side and back twice a day. Examples of upper body dynamics are arm swings and trunk rotations ect.

The splits has very little to do with kicking high as this is known as static flexibility, being able to do the splits will allow you to strike some cool poses and give you the flexibility to do scorpion kicks (along with a great deal of leg strength :P) but as far as usefulness goes, its not a requirement to be a great kicker.

Statics are indeed best to do at the end of the workout, the effect it has on the muscles actually increases the risk of injury for the first 5 mins or so until your body warms into your session. They also increase serotonin flow and make you relaxed and ready for sleep, not a good state for a workout. :lol:

If, however, you do want to develop the splits the best method is isometric/PNF (Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation) stretching, as DWx mentioned. Theres a plethora of videos about this on youtube, but i recommend Jujimufu's TricksTutorials.com and Tom Kurz's book Stretching Scientifically. :)

Hope this cleared it up a little.

"Get beyond violence, yet learn to understand its ways"

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

https://www.shinkido.co.uk

Also important in flexibility is having strength in your legs, too. If your legs are not strong, then flexibility will do you no good. Must have a good balance of the two.

Got it guys.. Thanks.

nweiz, my bro just started with me and his crying when it comes to stretching..Lol. I know his trying his best, but i think splits will do no good for him at his age. He's 33. :lol:

Can he do it or not..?? Tell me what is your advice and i will pass the message to him..Lol. :brow:

Got it guys.. Thanks.

nweiz, my bro just started with me and his crying when it comes to stretching..Lol. I know his trying his best, but i think splits will do no good for him at his age. He's 33. :lol:

Can he do it or not..?? Tell me what is your advice and i will pass the message to him..Lol. :brow:

Dont stretch through pain, thats a massive no-no it'll actually make your gains go backwards and you'll be way more likely to injure yourself.

As regards his age, 33, unless he's physically debilitated in some way then theres nothing stopping him from reaching his genetic potential in flexibility, it only takes a few months if you do it right.

As i said in my last post, i reference a book and a brilliant site, i suggest you check them out as they helped me and many others out greatly.

Hope this helped. :)

"Get beyond violence, yet learn to understand its ways"

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

https://www.shinkido.co.uk

Now, i think i know what is that stretching for..

i sparred for the first time and i lost.. i faked with a left mawashi geri, when i put it back, my leg is paining like i cant explain exaclty.

i cannot move my leg. thats the dissadvantage of not having thretching before the sparring.

• 2 months later...
While flexibility is important in any martial arts, having the ability to perform the splits ISN'T necessary in the martial arts.

One of the key things, imho, for anyone, beginners to advanced, is to NOT bounce while stretching. The reason for this is that bouncing can cause microtrauma in the muscle, which must heal itself with scar tissue. The scar tissue tightens the muscle, making you less flexible, and more prone to pain. This type of repetitive bouncing stretch is called ballistic stretching, and in that, it can strain your muscles and tendons because they aren't quite warmed up yet.

One more small piece of stretching advise comes from Edward R. Laskowski M.D co-director of the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center

In Rochester, Minnesota, Says, "no pain, no pain" may be a better philosophy. Dr. Laskowski insists....

"Never hold a painful stretch. You should back off just to where it's not painful, and hold for the duration of the stretch. Stretching lengthens muscle tissue, making it less liable to trauma and tears. Stretching should be a relaxing part of your exercise session."

No pain, no gain was redundant the day it was first used.

:)

Excellent information, I will keep this in mind when stretching from now on!!!