• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keypoints in doing Stretching for begginers..

pinoy_1

Is there any techniques/keypoints or any suggestions on how to do stretching to be able to perform the split as soon as possible?

Is the "split" a must for karate?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Is there any techniques/keypoints or any suggestions on how to do stretching to be able to perform the split as soon as possible?

Is the "split" a must for karate?

IMO, we are terribly primitive when it comes to stretching. We have a habbit of tossing safety out the windows. But Youtube has a variety of videos on professionals stretching. Don't laugh but they're ballet people.

But you need to warm up before doing any stretching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOC93gtPPLA&feature=fvw

While flexibility is important in any martial arts, having the ability to perform the splits ISN'T necessary in the martial arts.

One of the key things, imho, for anyone, beginners to advanced, is to NOT bounce while stretching. The reason for this is that bouncing can cause microtrauma in the muscle, which must heal itself with scar tissue. The scar tissue tightens the muscle, making you less flexible, and more prone to pain. This type of repetitive bouncing stretch is called ballistic stretching, and in that, it can strain your muscles and tendons because they aren't quite warmed up yet.

One more small piece of stretching advise comes from Edward R. Laskowski M.D co-director of the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center

In Rochester, Minnesota, Says, "no pain, no pain" may be a better philosophy. Dr. Laskowski insists....

"Never hold a painful stretch. You should back off just to where it's not painful, and hold for the duration of the stretch. Stretching lengthens muscle tissue, making it less liable to trauma and tears. Stretching should be a relaxing part of your exercise session."

No pain, no gain was redundant the day it was first used.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Youtube has great videos on how to stretch. I also like the stuff on trickstutorials.com but looks like their renovating the site.

sensei8 is spot on about the bouncing. People think that by forcing the stretch it'll be better but all you're doing is tearing the muscle. What works well for me is to grip the muscle groups I'm stretching and then to relax them (PNF type stretching).

You don't need to be able to do the splits for Karate. It'll help if you have that range of motion but its not a must. Even if you have that level of flexibility you'll need the strength to go with it anyway

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

yes!! thank you both for the advice Sensie..

Really at the end of every session i have pain on every joints of my body, and i'am thinking maybe i cannot perform the other techniques if i cannot do split and ofcourse the belt, my motivation.

Is it ok if i'll do stretching everyday? or every other day instead..?

maybe someone else can confirm because i'm about to reiterate what i was taught (which i'm not sure how accurate it is lol)...

but growing up in karate, i was told we did it all wrong according to more current studies... supposedly, it's better to warm your body up first, then do dynamic stretching... static stretching (ie: splits) is supposed to be done at the end of your workouts, never before... supposedly you lose power when you stretch statically before you workout...

again, i'm not sure how true that is, just what i was told by someone who reads all kinds of scientific journals and stuff lol

also, my sensei and his cousin both can kick to the head and past no problem... they barely have to rotate their upper body back to throw a mawashigeri to the head but the funny thing is... they can't even come close to doing the splits! lol... they pretty much only do dynamic stretching, leg raises etc... one of my sempais does leg raises upon waking and before bed and he seems real flexible w/his kicks... but he can't do a split for crap either lol...

idk though... this is something i am no expert on... just posting what i was told and some thing's i've noticed

LOL... ok.. ok.. i'll do that.

But the thing is, we are doing splits at the start of the training. just after the squat jumps and all.. lol. Xcept i will tell Sensei that he was wrong.

But the thing is, we are doing splits at the start of the training. just after the squat jumps and all.. lol. Xcept i will tell Sensei that he was wrong.

lol i don't recommend telling the sensei he's wrong... and like i said, i'm not 100% sure on what's accurate or not... i was just saying what i was told recent studies has shown... our dojo still does it the old way too, we stretch and do the splits before our actual practice... i've been to a highly competitive dojo on the island (which has produced world champions actually), and they do their static stretching at the end of class...

i'm sure it's a debated topic (the studies), but i'm too lazy to search and read through those things, that's why i'm hoping someone who's more knowledgeable can chime in and clear things up lol

lol i don't recommend telling the sensei he's wrong... and like i said, i'm not 100% sure on what's accurate or not... i was just saying what i was told recent studies has shown... our dojo still does it the old way too, we stretch and do the splits before our actual practice... i've been to a highly competitive dojo on the island (which has produced world champions actually), and they do their static stretching at the end of class...

i'm sure it's a debated topic (the studies), but i'm too lazy to search and read through those things, that's why i'm hoping someone who's more knowledgeable can chime in and clear things up lol

Static is better after, dynamic before.

Check Tom Kurz Website stadion.com I think it is there are a few studys on there.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I'd like to know jay from your daily routine what comes first when you do your training, the static or dynamic stretching??

I would like to hear it from the other guys also who posted reply on this thread. Thank you.