• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

daily exercises program ideas

username13839

Hello,

I am practicing shotokan karate. I would like to train a bit at home on a daily basis. Besides performing my kata over and over again, i am not sure what else i should do and what amount...

i would like to know what daily routines you do guys when practicing at home ?

Punch, kick and kata?

push up..?

if so how many and how long time?

Some small program advises would be great. I believe i can commit to a one hour per day in the evening.

thanks for your advises!

best regards

Sebastien

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello,

I am practicing shotokan karate. I would like to train a bit at home on a daily basis. Besides performing my kata over and over again, i am not sure what else i should do and what amount...

i would like to know what daily routines you do guys when practicing at home ?

Punch, kick and kata?

push up..?

if so how many and how long time?

Some small program advises would be great. I believe i can commit to a one hour per day in the evening.

thanks for your advises!

best regards

Sebastien

TBH, when trained properly kata contain all of the movements you need in Karate so I tend to practice kata when training by myself.

I augment this with stretches, a run, press ups and sit ups etc. The timescales are a bit like this.

5-10 mins warm up and light stretch

20 mins run.

5 mins stretch

5-10 mins of sit ups and press ups (approx 4 sets of 25 each interspersed)

Kata 30 mins (ish):

Pinan Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan, Godan.

Kushaku, Naihanchi, Seishan, Chinto etc. (but I may feel it necessary to spend 20 mins on one Kata instead).

I am a bit old fashioned in this respect, as I beleive that plain old gravity is one of the best pieces of apparatus you can have (and it's cheap). It is also an obstacle everyone has to overcome as part of being successful in combat.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Being relatively new to this board, I should have pointed out that there is a thread already dedicated to training programmes that can be found here:

http://www.karateforums.com/the-martial-artists-training-log-vt30246.html

Also, I noticed you were a Karateka so thought it worth mentioning my "typical" home training relating to same.

Different arts however will vary (in terms of the best requirements).

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

I try to lift weight and do cardio every day. 20 minutes of the ellipcal machine making sure my heart is right about 130.

Then one light set of weight on every muscle group starting with the core. I don't do the alternating muscle group like everyone else, because my work schedule often takes priority. So basically, I do a full body workout every time I get in the gym.

The entire workout = roughly 45 minutes from the time I get into the gym.

Pros = more flexibility and muscle endurance, less beefy.

Cons = not a muscle monster.

Daily exercise programs while at home...being that you're new to karate, I'd say your daily exercise while at home should be the three K's...Kihon, Kata, and Kumite. Yes, you can still do Kumite drills alone...hence...heavy bag/Wavemaster. Run through ALL of your Kihon! Then, run through all of your Kata! Then, abuse your heavy bag, Kumite that thing until the stuffing falls out! But be careful that you're adhering to doing your Kihon, Kata, and Kumite CORRECTLY! Be cognitive while your training/practicing at all times. If you don't, you'll run the risk of creating bad muscle memories that your sensei will have to correct again and again and again and...

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Sobojo,

why it seems like there are many kata's already under a yellow belt? maybe there is something wrong with my dojo, i only know 1 basic kata for about 3 weeks now. any comments please..

Pinoy, if you only know one forum practice practice practice that form till it is 2nd nature. Here is a good way to not only perfect your kata but it will make learning others much easier.

1. practice your form in its entirety at full speed, then do it again at slower speed about half of its original, do this for 15 minutes. you will feel it.

2. Do your form with only hand techniques(punches blocks and stances) for 5-10min

3. Do your form with only stances and leg techniques( 5-10min) watching your form and technique throughout.

4. Now put it all together and do the whole form you will be surprised at the improvement in your form and technique will be. If your really confident do it blind folded :)

Courtesy & Respect - Integrety - Self control - Perserverance - Indomitable Spirit

• 4 months later...