Virgil Damian

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else you could try is, do a squat then come up and kick. Kick with one side then go back down and come up and kick with the other side. You could even throw in a bag or other target to kick while you do this.

Nice idea.

I have never been fast, but i can make a dent when i connect. :D :bigwink:

My last post didn't sound the same after i got some sleep. What i ment was, i've always had more power than i did speed, so i used things like that exercise to develope my strength to compensate for my lack of speed. Not that that drill will make you slow it just improves you power and balance.

My last post didn't sound the same after i got some sleep. What i ment was, i've always had more power than i did speed, so i used things like that exercise to develope my strength to compensate for my lack of speed. Not that that drill will make you slow it just improves you power and balance.

Sounds good. You have to use what you've got.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ray.d8/article9.html Somewhere in this article talks about bruce lee's views on kicking the heavy bag.

Its also known that Lee changed his training ideas many times throughout his career. Aside from that, what is stated there is Lee's opinion, and not something that I think is derived from any kind of research study. Nor does it mean he is right about it. If you don't want to kick a heavy bag, that's cool. But its one of the best ways to build the strenth in the kicking muscles through resistance training.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ray.d8/article9.html Somewhere in this article talks about bruce lee's views on kicking the heavy bag.

Interestingly enough, I think the actual conversation quoted is taken out of context.

Bruce: When you use your leg it is much better - to kick at the phone pad or whatever - watch out with the side kick on air kicking - not air kicking too much. If you snap it too much without contact at the end you can get hurt."

It seems Bruce is advocating padwork with a partner more than kicking a heavy bag, and discourages his students from too much air kicking. Another quote of Bruce's explains the main reason why he doesn't like kicking the heavy bag is because it doesn't react and isn't very dynamic. In this case I would wholeheartedly agree with him.

He wanted more aliveness out of his training. That makes sense, he was already a powerful striker. I love pad work. It allows you to move in a way that a bag can't. For pure power training though, sometimes it's nice to have a good ole banana bag, so you don't need a partner every single time you want to do it.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Interestingly enough, I think the actual conversation quoted is taken out of context.

Bruce: When you use your leg it is much better - to kick at the phone pad or whatever - watch out with the side kick on air kicking - not air kicking too much. If you snap it too much without contact at the end you can get hurt."

It seems Bruce is advocating padwork with a partner more than kicking a heavy bag, and discourages his students from too much air kicking. Another quote of Bruce's explains the main reason why he doesn't like kicking the heavy bag is because it doesn't react and isn't very dynamic. In this case I would wholeheartedly agree with him.

This makes much more sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend the book Bruce lee's The Art of Expressing The Human Body, has A LOT of training routines and practices and day to day routines that the MAN has done, very helpful and useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Expressing-Human-Body/dp/0804831297/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286778877&sr=8-1

Courtesy & Respect - Integrety - Self control - Perserverance - Indomitable Spirit

• 3 months later...

Couple of things to try:-

Firstly (and apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs!):-

When you kick a bag or pad, don't kick it, kick through it. Try to visualise that you are actually kicking the other side of the person holding the bag/pads, let your leg swing through.

Secondally, twist the other foot. If you are doing a back leg mawashi geri, the dynamic comes from turning on the ball of your front foot, getting your hips around and finally your leg snapping out. It is this that allows you the coiled spring effect to hit the other side of the bag.

Lastly you could try some bungees. We use than for conditioning and speed. If you put one around your ankle and fix the other to the floor, or have someone hold it you can kick against the stretch of the band. upi can then also add a pad to hit.

Cheers,

Tintin