• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many years to black?

I am just curious as to how long it take in various schools and systems to reach black and beyond. The reason I am asking is because I ran into someone that I used to train with. I changed schools because the instructor was having difficulties in her personal life and couldn't separate it from class which make going to class absolutely dreadful. Anyway, after changing schools, I reached black within 3 1/2 years of training in and 2nd at close to 6 years of training. The old acquaintance tried to say that I shouldn't be 2nd Dan cause, I haven't trained for enough years. I just let in go in one ear and out the other and just told myself to pay no attention. I know there is no set years and that in some schools it can take as long as 8 years to even be considered for black. But, I feel, it is more about what you know and not the time span. I train on a daily basis for hours each day, so, naturally, I should know more than the guy who just shows up for class twice a week and doesn't practice in between, yet somehow is still awarded a black belt.

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In ITF Taekwon-Do its about 3 to 3.5 minimum for first dan. 3 months between kup (coloured) ranks until 2nd and 1st kup where its usually about a 6 month gap. At first dan you have to wait 18 months to get to 2nd then after that you have to wait the same number of years as dans you hold. So 3 years minimum for 3rd to 4th. You can cut the time down by attending these 3 day intensive seminars.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think years is a bad measurement. The amount of time spent training is the key. If someone trains twice a week for a few years, and they're reasonably skilled, they can probably be a black belt at most US schools. If someone trains every day for 5-6 hours a day, almost like a full time job, they'd probably be a qualified black belt in a year. Really depends on the person and the school.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

For my answer...

Please go to the General Martial Arts forum under the topic "A River Is Just A River"!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

For my answer...

Please go to the General Martial Arts forum under the topic "A River Is Just A River"!

A great answer. One thing that was missed in the topic is that a river meets other rivers on the way. Each one learns something from each stream or creek no matter how small or how big.

For my answer...

A great answer. One thing that was missed in the topic is that a river meets other rivers on the way. Each one learns something from each stream or creek no matter how small or how big.

That's a great one; a very solid one! Could you add that to that topic?

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 months later...

Im in three years, 4 nights a week and i have two tests before i think about testing for black. A fellow student of mine just received his black after 8 solid years of training.

Again, it all has to do with where you go and what style you're a part of, who your teacher is, etc.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 1 month later...

i took me just under 4 years to make my black belt, that is training 3 times a week in class and countless hours solo or with my training partner

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I agree with most about years being a bad measure. Training 5 times a week, 2 hour a training seasons over a 2 year period may equate to taking 2 to 3 classes for 6 years.

The rule of thumb at my dojo is 3 classes a week can you a BB in 4 years, assuming your skills are advancing at the required pace. It been my experience that 4 to 6 years is the average time for a BB. Keep in mind I've only trained with one instructor.