• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What/when to eat before a tournament?

Biskit

Hi everyone,

So my tournament is on Saturday, and I'll be leaving the house around 9:30. I could be there until 5pm!

So what should I have for breakfast? I'm estimated to have my first fight around noon, but I'm getting there at 10 to watch, and be there in case I go early. Should I eat before I leave home, or at the tournament before I fight? I am a vegetarian by the way (not vegan, just no meat.)

So I'll probably be there for lunch too, what/when would you guys reccomend I have?

Also is there anything I should be snacking on between matches for energy or something?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I usually eat something high energy and slow release in the morning before I leave, porridge/oatmeal or something like that. Usually eat sandwiches and stuff through the day. Bananas are good too. And chocolate biscuits :D Make sure you drink enough as well

Good Luck :up:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

PASTA. Pasta is a huge source of carbs which your going to need so you should eat that the night before the tournament. For breakfast something like oatmeal would be a good choice since it is also a carb and a slow releasing carb for back up energy

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

I had the same question a few months ago and did just what DWx said and had great energy. I also took a protein shake which worked great instead of trying to down solid food between competing.

PASTA. Pasta is a huge source of carbs which your going to need so you should eat that the night before the tournament. For breakfast something like oatmeal would be a good choice since it is also a carb and a slow releasing carb for back up energy

I agree. Tournaments are not as demanding as an actual match of 6 3 minute rounds, but you still want to fill energetic. I would have a hi carb meal the nights before and fruit, tuna and plenty to drink the day of.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

What others have said is pretty good.

Slow release complex carbohydrates.

Most important lots and lots of water. You need to hydrate well at least the night before. Scientists have actually found out it takes about 5 days to get to a proper level of hydration.

Take an isotonic drink with you to prevent cramping.

You need to look this up to make sure but off the top of my head.

Pinch of Salt

Pinch of Sugar

250ml Orange Juice

750ml of Water

Adjust if you want more than a litre which you probably will.

Have Fun

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I agree with the pasta (carb loading) the night before. And some oatmeal or similar in the morning. Now every animal on the planet performs at it's highest just as the stomach empties and you start to feel hungry. This is why I snack light on some sort of bread throughout the day but just bite here and there. Mostly I eat fruit ALL day. Alot of it as it doesn't slow you down and keeps your blood sugar levels up.

Take all the above advice, experiment with it, and see what works for you. Everyone is different, and their body tells them different things. Listen to your body, and you should be alright.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 2 weeks later...