• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teaching Yourself

I am currently without a Master, or even a Sam Dan to train under (a 3rd degree Midnight Blue belt). I've been thinking of teaching myself Tang Soo Do, mostly out of the book written by Master Kang Uk Lee. Does anyone have any opinions about this? I don't want to be thought of as impatient or impertinent, but not having anyone to train me, I feel I should train myself. Anyone have any opinions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know. I moved to go to college, and I'm not sure where the martial arts schools are (if any) and what type they are. Also, I did not have to pay at my previous school, since I am in Instructor. I'm living off of my loans, so paying $100 or so a month for a school is out of the question.

Google it. You're living in New York, so I garantee you there'll be at least a few schools around you. I wouldn't recommend teaching yourself unless you have no other options (like me moving out into the middle of the desert, although I'm still going to look into the school 40 miles away when I get out there just because I don't think I can do it alone).

Yes, but there is the problems of one, making sure the school is my style, and two, paying for it. Most schools are $100 a month or so, and I'm not willing to pay for that.

If I can't find one, do you think I should? I'm leaning very much to teaching myself, I've been out for a long time, and would love to get back in.

It sounds like it may be your only option, especially if you are not willing to pay for training under anyone else.

I think if you are going to do it alone, then it is important that you be overly critical of evaluating how you do techniques, and do your best to get it right, since you don't have someone on the outside looking in. Another option is if you have a video camera, you can set it up, and evaluate your technique that way. This, supplemented with some trusted youtube videos, could go a long way to helping you supplement your training.

Best of luck to you.

Good idea, bushido_man, about the camcorder. That might be something to look into to help my training. And yes, of course I am going to go harder on myself since I don't have anyone looking in on me. I think this might be the best idea for me, it's been so long since I've practiced or trained.

I have to train by myself whilst at uni. As long as you have a good foundation its not too much of a problem. Might be more difficult for you but I see my instructor twice a month maybe when I visit my parents back home. So you can train what you know on your own and then just get your old teacher to give you intensive lessons once in a while.

But since you're in college, check out what styles (if any) it offers. Finding something similar can help.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I suggest looking at what is offered by your university. I'm not sure where in New York you're going, but I know that Columbia and NYU offer several clubs. I went to NYU. You could take this as an opportunity to branch out into a different style while practicing on your own. I'd say perfect what you know, learn a few things from someone else, and when you go home, you can start adding to your current style. That's what I did, and I liked it quite a bit.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

My college offers a Tae Kwon Do club, which I do intend to join. However, I don't know whether it is taught by an Instructor (and if so, what level), or if it is a bunch of students that just make it up as they go along. I will join it, though, but I also want to stay with my style.