• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yoga

Jeffrey

Last night we did a little bit of a different class. One of the instructors had a hot yoga teacher come in a conduct the class. I have never really been exposed to yoga before so I was very interested in what it had to offer.

They cranked up the heat and began the class. It was 1 hour and 40 mins. I have never sweated like that every. My Gi was drenched from top to bottom. Going through the various poses and holding them became quiet the challenge. The focus was on breathing and calm of mind. I would have to admit this was a great work out. Not only did it focus on different muscle groups but also on flexibility.

I would be interested to hear from others who may do Yoga or have tried it. I may just make this part of my weekly routine.

Thoughts??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think yoga is definatly a great thing, awesome work out, ect.

Just remember, it won't make you better at what you do in the ma's. It will increase your attributes for sure, but that's the extent of it. I hear too many people push too hard with all kinds of things, yoga, weights, running, crossfit, ect. Under the guise of getting their game better.

Given a choice to make you game better, play more of your game. If I had a night that I was off of class and looking for something to do, it'd be high on the list. However, given time constraints, I'd rather get another night of class time in.

That's just me. I get tired of hearing people push "If you want to get better at x do (insert here- yoga, crossfit, ect.). If you want to be better at x, do more x.

That being said, I'm probibly overthinking your question. It is a good tool to increase attributes for many ma's for sure. And the hot yoga stuff is great for trimming weight pre-fight about the week before. If you've got the time, go for it.

It sounds like you enjoyed it. I am with tallgeese in that I wouldn't like to see one of my MA classes a week exchanged with yoga, but if you have the time and enjoy it, then go for it.

It sounds like you enjoyed it. I am with tallgeese in that I wouldn't like to see one of my MA classes a week exchanged with yoga, but if you have the time and enjoy it, then go for it.

I agree with the both of you on the exchange of a MA class for yoga. It was a one time deal just to do something different. I was more on the line of maybe hitting the yoga place one time a week. Just to stretch which I never seemed to make time for.

The idea of yoga, crossfit or running will make you better at MA is myth IMO also. I run 3 times a week but it doesn't make me better in my MA class other than add a bit of extra enduance to certian skills and not all.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yoga is awesome and I believe essential for martial artists to cross train - strength and flexibility, balance and mind training rolled into one.

If you have had injuries or want to retain your skills and mobility later in life Yoga will help you - I see people in my class in their 60-70s and they are the fittest for their age I have ever seen.

Try it!

Yoga is fantastic and is said to be the mother of Asian Martial Arts. There are many varieties and think it is better to take the more challenging ones.

If strength training and "cross training" wasn't effective for martial arts, no martial arts class would have people doing push-ups, etc. The problem I see it is when you have limited time or things are out of balence.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yoga is the mother style for most of us. It is no coincidence that the warrior position is virtually the same as zenkutsu dachi. That said, I sure wouldn't want it subbed for a regular class more than maybe once a year.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)