• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What uniform do you wear to Karate?

RJCKarate

I always prefered a white gi. Even in BJJ, I wear white a majority of the time.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear my white Gi. Most do. One person I have seen has a black Gi. Until I think next month, you can wear Gi pants and Dojo t-shirt, guessing that is just through the summer time. The only time I have seen someone not in a Gi when it is their first class.

Its a traditional design, but a custom cut and fit!

Isami & Ichiban are the official makers of the GI Kyokushin wear.

http://www.chokesports.com/kyokushin-gi-k-200-classic-7292-p.asp

Sosai worked with Isami to create the GI worn today, shorter sleeves, light weight bottoms compared to the heavy loose fit jacket no ties to hold the jacket together.

The GI can be bleached as many GIs are today or as is the fashion in the Kyokushin world, natural cotton(unbleached).

Edited by Hawkmoon

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

We wear Plain White Gi, with club logo embroidered on the left.

The choice of manufacturer is up to the student.

Personally I really like the Blitz White Diamond. Its stiff at first but after the first few washes it softens up nicely, and you get a great snap sound when doing techniques.

Wado

We are given a plain white Gi when we start for free. Its a fairly low quality one.

We then can buy our traditional kit which is black Gi trousers with a Black T-shirt with club logo on.

At Black belt we are also able to buy a branded Black Gi.

I like it. We get the freedom of movement of the Gi trousers with the ease of a T-shirt.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

Ditto. Pretty informal...t-shirt and gi pants for comfort. White, black - whatever is on hand.

Now...for dress up occasions: I prefer (gi) black top and white pants for kobudo oriented events and white top and black pants for Goju. Basically because that was how it was done in the past.

Leaves fall.

• 1 month later...

We can only do white until black belt, so right now I wear a Century middleweight white gi with the sleeves rolled up because it's way too big on me.

I've only had it for a year, but I might be ordering a new one soon because it hangs off of me and I can't seem to get out the stains I got from wearing it on Halloween night in a graveyard in Salem, MA (on the plus side, those stains have the best story of any stains I've ever gotten).

I'm considering a brushed cotton one this time. We'll see.

I am hoping to be changing the color of my Gi in December, when you reach 3rd Kyu in our school you change from a plain white gi to a black one. I think that a 9oz Nine Circles Okinawan Cut gi would look good. I won't go for a heavy weight as they can lose color and can be tiring to wear in summer. Nine Circles import from Japan and you can't beat them for price.

Look to the far mountain and see all.