• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What uniform do you wear to Karate?

RJCKarate

Whatever I'm wearing that day. Someday we'll get me a gi... I can't afford one right now. :/

But then, I can learn to fight in long skirts or a corset this way!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wear a white, heavyweight do-gi to Karate. The funny thing is, my instructor encouraged me to buy something that's not strictly white. Usually, it's the younger students begging to wear the "cool red gi that guy in the video game wears!"

For TKD, I wear an Adidas Grandmaster (their branding, not mine haha) dobok. During team practices in university, we would wear dobok pants and t-shirts, but that's because we did everything from TKD basics to plyometrics, so it was nice to wear something a little less traditional.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Well I think that this is the case all round, Do Gi's everywhere.

I have White Do Gi's in My club but I attend another club in a Blue Do Gi and a Black Full Contact Gi (like a TKD dobok but in black).

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

traditional white gi... kind of off topic but i just got a new tokon sovereign gi which is honestly the most comfortable gi i've ever owned! it has snap thats' good enough for kihon/kata which is pretty cool since it's not stiff like a heavyweight gi... for the past 15yrs or so i've used tokaido, and prior to that i owned a century gi... let's just see how long it holds up because my tokaido gi's last forever it seems

I wear a plain old white gi most of the time. Where I train, dan grades are allowed to wear black gi if they so choose. When I got my black belt I ordered a matching black gi with lots of gold kanji embroidered on it. At the time I thought it was the pinnacle of sartorial elegance but now it just makes me cringe and it is gathering dust along with my embroidered belts. Plain white gi plain black belt for me.

you should feel proud to wear a black belt with your name on it, dont let it gather dust. our black belts are bought over from japan by shihan takahashi when the 6mths is up. :karate:

~Rhi

I wear.......

the usual boring white gi :D

Because its tradition. And I respect that tremendously.

Must depend on the school....I do Shotokan as well, and our instructor makes us train in black and only use white for photos, ceremonies, and tournaments. I just assumed this was the Shotokan way...it's kind of cool to see it done differently elsewhere.