• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What uniform do you wear to Karate?

RJCKarate

But I see that some people are saying that they wear different kinds of wardrobe on their karate classes. I cannot imagine a karate session where people have T-shirts or various types of gis. In my club we accept T-shirts and "normal" cloths only if someone is a beginner.

We can wear just the dobok (Korean gi) trousers and t-shirt in training for any sparring or fitness stuff. Obviously no belt with it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually black gi, either ironman/heavy top or judo top. Heavier top takes the grabs and throws way better than lighter tops. Some nights though it's shorts and tee shirts especially if we're putting in rounds or just free grappling.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

well i have a medium/heavy karate suit which is realy good for looks but is incredibly warm in the summer, my judo suit is about three times heavier and double as thick...i would never waree that to karate, one it realy doesnt look right and two its too heavy for fast attacks and blocks

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

• 3 weeks later...

I wear a traditional white karategi. I have a few of them. One is a very cheap polyester gi that I got when I first started. Another one is made of dryfit material and is a bit heavier duty. The last is a very thick cotton canvas gi from Tokon... I think the model is 'America.' I've found that in whatever climate, winter or summer, the heavy gi is actually cooler because it doesn't stick to my body like the others.

Edited by gavn8r

On hot summer days... like today... I will wear my black gi pants with a red school T-shirt tucked in.

i have a black shcool shirt too...

we can wear the school shirt to train in when it is hot. Otherwise a full gi is expected.

(sometimes we just wear plain gray shirts too)

we are not really that strict... after purple belt you can wear almost any stlye or color of gi you want. Before purple belt you are pretty much expected to be in white karate-gi or school shirt. The black belts all have red gi-tops though... no one else gets those :lol:

people who are trying the class out usually just wear some athletic pants and a shirt lol....

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

For Karate the gi is always white. Sometimes I wear a traditional cut Karate gi, or a kumite gi. Once in a while when I am pressed for time I will wear the pants from my Judo gi with a karate top, since I usually go to Karate right after Judo.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

I wear one that fits!

I wear one that's comfortable!

:P :lol:

Sorry...I just couldn't resist!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I wear my blue Judogi.

When you first start out, you're allowed to wear a tshirt or a hoodie with shorts, until you order your gi. Once you have it, you're required to wear your gi...Otherwise...

If you're missing the top, 30 pushups.

If you're missing the bottom, 30 pushups.

If you're missing your belt, 30 pushups.

If you miss all 3, 100 pushups.

So yeah, everyone wears their Judogi (Or Jiu-Jitsugi, some people from the BJJ class before us stay for Judo), no exceptions unless you're a beginner who hasn't ordered their gi.

We also have nogi Judo days, you just wear shorts and a tshirt (Or a rashguard, which is what I wear) instead of a gi. Same for MMA.