• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What uniform do you wear to Karate?

RJCKarate

Surprised as I would expect Traditional Karateka to all wear white Gi's, but there's a mix of Freestyle Karateka or non-karateka answering

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wear white or unbleached karate gi, although the cut is up to the student as long as the sleeves go below the elbows and the pants go below the knees. Once we reach brown belt, you can wear a black gi instead, or some combination of black and white/unbleached. Alternatively, the uniform color for our kobudo system is brown, so a brown gi is also allowed if you practice kobudo.

Personally, I am fond of the just-below-the-knees/just-below-the-elbows look, and I have only ever worn a white or unbleached gi, although I've been considering trying out a black one.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

There is a company in the UK called Nine Circles that do Japanese Gis, either Black or White in a traditional cut, medium or heavy weight. Our Sensei buys our Association Gis from Blitzport, already embroidered and printed with the Club Logo.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 6 months later...

Well i wear a standard karategi during class, but during kumite i wear a jujitsu gi that is a lot thicker than the karate gi.

I mainly use my jujitsu gi during kumite because we do 'light' kumite where we are allowed to do throws, takedowns and fight on the ground if needed. Or when we are practicing groundwork.

Traditional white dobak. Though in the summer we can wear our uniform pants with a school tee. (but I never have. I wear the whole uniform, always.)

The leadership team wears black pants with a pullover style red & black top.

Traditional white gi over 90% of the time. Every once in a while I'll wear a traditional-cut blue gi.

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• 3 weeks later...

In our Kyokushin dojo, we wear white or off-white Kyokushin preferred Gi's(usually heavier than the common Karate Gi, but lighter than traditional Judo Gi). I am afraid that if I walked into a Karate dojo as a perspective student and saw bright colored Gi's or Gi's with mismatched top and bottoms, it would automatically scream McDojo to me. What makes me even more concerned with such an encounter is my possibly missing out on some genuinely awesome training due to my 'misconception'. Not every Karate club that detours from traditional Gi's are automatically a McDojo, but that is definitely the first impression I'd get.

"Welcome to Cafe Karma, there is no menu, you get served what you deserve. Bon apetit!"