• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What uniform do you wear to Karate?

RJCKarate

I often wear a judo gi to karate class - holds up better when I get thrown.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear a plain old white gi most of the time. Where I train, dan grades are allowed to wear black gi if they so choose. When I got my black belt I ordered a matching black gi with lots of gold kanji embroidered on it. At the time I thought it was the pinnacle of sartorial elegance but now it just makes me cringe and it is gathering dust along with my embroidered belts. Plain white gi plain black belt for me.

If I"m not doing BJJ I typically train in shorts and a tee. If I'm grappling, I rarely grapple no gi anymore.

If, as has happened a couple of times, I'm at a karate function and there will be grappling, I usually just wear my BJJ pants and throw on the gi top when it's time to roll. Saves me changing.

In my Karate class, I wear a white gi, exclusively. In Judo, I wear either a white or blue gi. Either are allowed, both are traitional.

"Karate is a lot like hot water. If you do not constantly heat it - it will once again become cool water".

In Judo, I wear either a white or blue gi. Either are allowed, both are traitional.

For certain values of 'traditonal'. Certainly there was and remains an old guard who wouldn't wear a blue gi at gunpoint.

Well I would always wear what was allowed by the dojo. Usually only a white gi. One dojo allowed a black gi or mix top and bottoms of white and black when you attain black belt. In that case I also wore a black gi or a white top with black bottoms.

In the dojo I run new students wear regular work out clothes until about a month. After that I push them to get a gi only white but I recommend a judogi since it's stronger. If a student comes from another school I allow them to wear what they have until it's time for a new one.

At black belt I allow black and blue gis.

We always have traditional white gi.

But I see that some people are saying that they wear different kinds of wardrobe on their karate classes. I cannot imagine a karate session where people have T-shirts or various types of gis. In my club we accept T-shirts and "normal" cloths only if someone is a beginner.

I wonder, if you can have what kind of gi you want, which style are you training then? Is this appearing in all kinds of styles or only in these modern ones?

I watched not so long ago a video where a black belt was showing a kata. He had a black t-shirt and red pants on him. I do not know what kind of black belt he is but this view was really strange.

Greetings

John Steczko

John The Burn Belly Fat Guy

We always have traditional white gi.

But I see that some people are saying that they wear different kinds of wardrobe on their karate classes. I cannot imagine a karate session where people have T-shirts or various types of gis. In my club we accept T-shirts and "normal" cloths only if someone is a beginner.

Sensei Pat Nakata's classes only wear gi pants, a white t-shirt, and no belts.