• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What uniform do you wear to Karate?

RJCKarate

I was having a chat with a martial arts friend of mine regarding what type of uniform they wear to the karate class.

We got to the discussion point of whether anyone prefers to wear a judo/aikido (or similar) dogi to their karate training, instead of the standard karategi.

Does anyone on this forum wear a different dogi to their karate class? If so, what are the reasons behind it - and for those who don't, feel free to give opinion of why you wear the standard!

Cheers!

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear.......

the usual boring white gi :D

Because its tradition. And I respect that tremendously.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I occasionally wear my judo gi to class when my karate gi hasn't gotten out of the laundry yet. Since the only difference is that it's a heavier weight, nobody gives me much grief about it.

When I was in tang soo do we were able to where our karate pants and a tee shirt if we wanted to but only when we aren't doing anything formal. It was kind of nice because it was light. The problem is I think they only let us do it s they can get us to buy there shirts.... so.... ya :dodgy:

We wear street clothes one day a week (because if we get attacked we probably won't be wearing a gi) and the other day we wear regular karate gis. Most of us wear white, but the people who have been around awhile start collecting gis, so they could be wearing white tops with black bottoms or black tops with white bottoms or all black or an old gi top with the sleeves ripped off-- pretty much anything. There's even one guy who wears his gi pants with an old button up dress shirt. Some of us wear patches and some don't. One of our black belts even has "tae kwon do" embroidered on his belt because he teaches there and doesn't want to buy a seperate black belt for training with us. I'm currently into the habit of rolling my gi sleeves up to my elbows because I find it less constricting, cooler, and easier for grabs and stuff. There's really no rhyme or reason to our uniforms, but I bet if someone bought a gi that was a color other than white or black they'd get made fun of. They wouldn't get in trouble, they'd just get teased mercilessly.

My karate school is fairly non-traditional on the uniforms. Our uniform is gi pants (of any color) with a "school" t-shirt.

However, now that I'm starting Aikido classes, they actually use traditional white gis at the school, with higher ranks wearing hakama. For the first few weeks, we can get away without a gi, but in a few weeks I'll have to pick up a white Aikido or Judo Gi. If I stick with Aikido, I'll eventually need to pick up some hakama pants as well.

I wear the Traditional White Karate Gi.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

We are traditional so we all wear a white karategi with no school patches, we can keep only the manufacturer patches that came with the gi when we bought it.

Karate Shotokan brown belt (2nd kyu) // Judo black belt (1st dan)