• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Legal problems due to belt rank?

I think this is purely a myth, like 'having to register your fists as a deadly weapon when you become a blackbelt'.

actually thats not a myth we do it at my dojo. because its true. even now i've been told at white belt w/ black tip level i could put someone in a coma so what will i be like when i get to black belt...just with a kizami i could kill someone. and so could half the BB at my dojo. in australia its a legal thing

What is a Kizami??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is purely a myth, like 'having to register your fists as a deadly weapon when you become a blackbelt'.

actually thats not a myth we do it at my dojo. because its true. even now i've been told at white belt w/ black tip level i could put someone in a coma so what will i be like when i get to black belt...just with a kizami i could kill someone. and so could half the BB at my dojo. in australia its a legal thing

What is a Kizami??

a fast punch to the jaw area. when standing freestyle the punch is made with the fist that is forward the most. http://www.okclips.com/sports/Shotokan-Karate-Focus-Pads-Training-Drill-Kizami-Zuki-gyaku-Zuki-Video-20266/ its the first punch!

~Rhi

You're kidding right? This happens in Australia? Wow, I'm glad I don't live there. What about the other MA like thai boxing, jujitsu etc.? Do they have to register their fists too? If I have a black belt in Origami, do I have to register my fingers as deadly weapons too?

Julien Bates

I'm assuming this is nationwide in Australia, and frankly that's one of the problems for the US. So much is based on the state you live in, that what might be forbidden in one state is freely permitted or permitted with minimal restrictions in another. If you want to order a martial arts weapon from a catalog, there's bound to be a list of states with the weapon on the no-sale list.

In another forum, one of the members, a certified instructor and school owner, is from Massachusetts. He said that in a self-defense situation, kicking is not permitted unless under certain circumstances. (If a KF member is from MA, would you know about this?) It can be that it's linked to being shod, but I don't know if that's the origin of the law or just one of them.

I wonder if the area of the US you live in, and therefore the states in that area, reflect stricter--even restrictive--laws about self-defense, while others give more freedom regarding it?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 4 months later...

It may come up in court, (probably not, if you keep it to yourself) but there is no specific precedent or law that I have heard of. My Father is both a black belt and an attorney. He is also a very careful man. I'm sure that if something specific existed he would have warned me lots of times.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

Well, i have a few things to say bout this issue. One, is how did the courts know that you studied MA? I am an x police officer and can vouch that there is no such thing as having ur hands registered once you become an avid martial artist. This is a myth. And two, wht it comes down to is how bad was the beat down and did it happen on private property or public property. Most states will charge both people with a felony if it happened onprivate property such as bar or resturant etc. Public property is if it happened in the street. If u beat the guy so badly or cause great bodily harm, ur going b the one to pay the doc bills and it also depends on ur passed criminal history.

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

• 2 years later...

I work as a Security Guard in Australia, but the Australian Tax Office will not let me claim Karate training as a business expense even tho I require Karate for self defence on the job and have used it in that capacity previously.

Why then would the Australian Court system recognise Karate as something tangible and relivant to a self defence or assult situation?

• 6 months later...

Well i did have legal problems when someone attacked me with a knife but i had purposely raised my voice so people around would hear every word that i said so just in case this went to court people would have to be on my side for this.

All i said to him before he attacked me was that i have a history of martial arts and i will defend myself & restrain you if you proceed.

so he did attack but what i did was block it, removed the knife from his hand and applied a wrist lock. the good thing was that the police were nearby and happened to witness everything.

He got charged with attempted assault but no jail time (it was on bail), and he decided to sue me for hurting him (due to the wrist lock) and the judge asked me what i said and did. and the focus was pretty much all on my martial arts training and i could have prevented having to apply a wrist lock.

I politely asked the judge if i may demonstrate what happened and what i did when disarming and applying the wrist lock. which the judge agreed, so i also politely asked a 3rd party to be the demonstration partner which ended up being an off-duty judge who happened to come into the court house that day. and he (the off-duty judge) under oath said that there was no lasting pain from the lock or damage to his wrist.

But...... the case got thrown out because of the testimonies and what i said to try and prevent any chances of any one getting hurt & of the demonstration

in the judges end statement he was happy to know that i tried to prevent anything from occurring.

This whole thread is very strange to me. Having to register yourself as a "Lethal Weapon" and giving a warning to an attacker of your training in Martial Arts sounds totally ridiculous!

If someone attacks me or my loved ones they will never know of my training, the only evidence they will have is that I could defend myself. There would be no time for conversation, the technique would land before they made their attack once I knew of their intent. In the UK, giving warnings and registering legally is a myth and a joke. We would laugh if someone expected this of us. For example, my Father was a bare knuckle boxer in his youth and a member of the British Special Forces; would he have to give three warnings to an attacker? No way! He would drop them with no further entertainment of protocol. And this matter of registering your skill with the police? I'm sorry, I thought it was a joke.

Look to the far mountain and see all.