• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has anyone used two diffrent weapons at once?

albeaver89

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A sai with a kodachi? That'd be more than a little unusual because it'd be mixing historical classes of weapons, one a traditional Okinawan kobudo weapon and one a Japanese sword. It does make a certain amount of martial sense, however: there's a lot of mileage to be gotten out of the idea of a one-handed sword and an off-handed parrying weapon. It's terrain more thoroughly explored by Western than Eastern sword arts: if you're feeling particularly adventurous, you might even look into Rennisance-era main-gauche play for inspiration.

The closest we've come to that is experimenting using a sai AS a tonfa, and vice versa. (yech)

Also, I guess I'd kinda think of eaku, nunti-bo, and to a lesser extent quwa and sansetsukon as having the qualities of two different weapons. Another would be chisi as it employs more empty hand techniques.

Leaves fall.

• 2 weeks later...

At once? Nope! Other than the tinbe-rochin that Toptomcat mentioned. It [different weapons at the same time] could be doable until I picked up a weapon that required the use of both of my hands to wield it. Still, it's an interesting thought and the combinations are quite intriguing...which with my luck, I'd only end up hurting myself for one reason or another.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 months later...

It is common at our Blackbelt testings for sensei to hand a student a tonfa and a sai, or tonfa/sword, sai/kama,etc. and tell the student to perform a specific kata. The reasons for this are twofold I believe. One to demonstrate that the basic principles behind any weapon are generally the same, and two to test the students improvisation ability.

I've welded two weapons of a different sort, and I've seen several people do it. It's all about the basics.

If a blackbelt is easy to attain then you have to question the worth of the rank.

In eskrima there are several things that use a stick (rattan aaround 26" or so...) and a knife in the other...

I don't really know them yet (too advanced for me)

Also there is a whole style called espada y daga which is shield and dagger.

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee